The Johnson & Johnson Law Department is recruiting for a Patent Liaison, to primarily support Johnson & Johnson’s Ethicon surgical technologies franchise. From creating the first sutures to revolutionizing surgery with minimally invasive procedures, Ethicon has made significant contributions to surgery for more than 100 years.
The position is based at Ethicon’s campus in Cincinnati, OH. Johnson & Johnson is currently operating under a hybrid working model, which will allow the successful candidate to work remotely two days per week. Otherwise, regular presence at Ethicon’s campus is expected.
Caring for the world, one person at a time has inspired and united the people of Johnson & Johnson for over 125 years. We embrace research and science -- bringing innovative ideas, products and services to advance the health and well-being of people.
With $93.8 billion in 2021 sales, Johnson & Johnson is the world's most comprehensive and broadly based manufacturer of health care products, as well as a provider of related services, for the consumer, pharmaceutical, and medical devices markets. Employees of the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies work with partners in health care to touch the lives of over a billion people every day, throughout the world.
Thriving on a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees and committed to inclusion. Proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
As a Patent Liaison within the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies:
You will use scientific and technical expertise to serve as the primary point of contact between the in-house patent legal group and the various research teams within Ethicon R&D that develop new products and discover new technology. As a creative driver of technology for the Johnson & Johnson MedTech sector you will collaborate with members of the legal group to identify groundbreaking innovations and enable commercially significant inventions to be protected by valid patents in the various technology areas, while guiding the business strategically with regard to third-party intellectual property. Collaborating with a patent attorney, you will provide advice and direction on patent matters to the R&D teams as they develop innovative technologies.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Assisting attorneys to perform critical review of patents, draft patent applications, draft patent amendments, analyze patent opinions and other patent-related documents for technical accuracy and full protection of company inventions and function as a liaison between research scientists and patent attorneys.
- Collaborating closely with R&D personnel to perform comprehensive searches of patent databases for invalidity, patentability, landscape and freedom to operate searches.
- Performing technical analysis of third party patents in distinct technology areas to identify and/or assess potential third-party patent considerations.
- Ensuring detailed instruction is provided to researchers and inventors regarding legal requirements for a patentable invention and assist in the preparation of invention disclosures.
- Providing advice and leadership to R&D and commercial personnel regarding patent and trade secret matters, helping to independently identify and develop IP strategies to benefit the business.
- Developing and maintaining a deep understanding of the business, including current research activities, products in development, the current commercial product offerings and existing IP portfolio.
- Attending and participating in Law Department, R&D and business meetings related to such activities.
- Intermittent travel to domestic sites up to 5% may be required.
- A degree in engineering, such as computer engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical or electromechanical engineering, chemical engineering, biomedical engineering, or bioengineering is required, with an advanced degree being preferred.
- The candidate preferably will be a registered U.S. Patent Agent, or otherwise the candidate will take and pass the U.S. Patent Agent Examination within two years of hire.
Experience and Skills:
- Excellent organizational, interdependent partnering and project management skills is required.
- Ability to communicate effectively, as well as strong interpersonal skills, including emotional intelligence is required.
- Proficiency in the MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams and OneNote) is required.
- Experience reviewing patents and patent applications is required.
- Knowledge of competitive technologies in the medical device industry is preferred.
- Experience searching patent and scientific literature databases is preferred.
- Experience working as a Patent Agent, Patent Liaison or Scientific Advisor Role in a corporate law department and/or law firm, including experience drafting patent applications, is preferred.
The base pay range for this position is $88,000- $142,600
The Company maintains highly competitive, performance-based compensation programs. Under current guidelines, this position is eligible for an annual performance bonus in accordance with the terms of the applicable plan. The annual performance bonus is a cash bonus intended to provide an incentive to achieve annual targeted results by rewarding for individual and the corporation’s performance over a calendar/ performance year. Bonuses are awarded at the Company’s discretion on an individual basis.
Employees may be eligible to participate in Company employee benefit programs such as health insurance, savings plan, pension plan, disability plan, vacation pay, sick time, holiday pay, and work, personal and family time off in accordance with the terms of the applicable plans. For additional general information on company benefits, please go to: - https://www.careers.jnj.com/employee-benefits
At Johnson & Johnson, we’re on a mission to change the trajectory of health for humanity. That starts by creating the world’s healthiest workforce. Through cutting-edge programs and policies, we empower the physical, mental, emotional, and financial health of our employees and the ones they love. As such, candidates offered employment must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or secure an approved accommodation prior to the commencement of employment to support the well-being of our employees, their families and the communities in which we live and work.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
For more information on how we support the whole health of our employees throughout their wellness, career and life journey, please visit www.careers.jnj.com.