Johnson & Johnson is recruiting for a Senior Counsel, Technology, to provide legal support and partnership to the Johnson & Johnson Technology (JJT) and North America Procurement (IT Category) organizations, located in New Brunswick, NJ with remote work options considered on a case-by-case basis if approved by the Company.
The Senior Counsel will primarily support JJT and IT Procurement, and will also collaborate with Law Department colleagues and business partners on other technology and digital transactions and legal issues, as circumstances warrant. This position will be part of a team of attorneys providing similar legal support.
• Work closely with the relevant businesses to understand business needs and advise on technology-related legal issues and support the transactional needs of the JJT organization.
• Draft and negotiate various technology agreements for Johnson & Johnson affiliates in the United States, including in the areas of:
• Software, software-as-a-service (SaaS), cloud services, data and technology licensing, software and technology development, consulting services, hardware and equipment purchases, hosting services, maintenance and support services, technology evaluations, eCommerce, telecom services, outsourcing arrangements and emerging technologies.
• Support the IT Procurement Category and the Global Services, Supplier Contracting Services (SCS) organization, on IT sourcing and contracting activities, including the development, risk assessment and execution of IT sourcing strategies and effective, efficient and innovative contracting, related to technology products, services and solutions procured by Johnson & Johnson businesses.
• Provide strategic legal counsel to JJT, IT Procurement and SCS clients and Law Department colleagues, including keeping abreast of industry trends in the technology and digital space, such as data science and analytics, privacy, cybersecurity, cloud computing, blockchain, robotics, artificial intelligence, websites, mobile devices, open-source software and Agile programming, to ensure that the legal support provided is appropriately adapted to the evolving environment.
• Manage outside counsel for certain transactions and maintain oversight to understand and direct matters in a way that ensures compliance with applicable Johnson & Johnson policies, procedures and best practices.
• Serve as a legal resource to provide guidance and subject-matter expertise to Law Department colleagues and business partners on a global basis in connection with technology and digital transactions.
• Support technology-aspects of mergers, acquisitions, divestitures and other types of business transactions, help to resolve technology vendor disputes and be a subject-matter expert in technology legal issues for other members of the Law Department.
• Coordinate with other departments and subject-matter experts regarding risk management, privacy, litigation, compliance, information security and technology development.
• Collaborate with IT Procurement and SCS to improve the IT contracting process, which may include developing and delivering legal and contracting training, harmonizing and optimizing templates, building and refining playbooks, identifying and adopting best practices and supporting process improvement initiatives in a continued effort to streamline contracting and sourcing related processes.
• A Juris Doctor degree is required.
Experience and Skills:
• Authorization to practice law (in good standing) in at least one US jurisdiction is required.
• A minimum of twelve years of relevant technology legal experience is required.
• Experience drafting and negotiating technology contracts is required.
• Experience advising on legal obligations and risks relating to intellectual property, data, privacy and cybersecurity is required.
• Strong interpersonal, organizational and communication skills are required.
• Ability to collaborate with business partners, stakeholders, other Johnson & Johnson attorneys and outside counsel is required.
• Travel up to 5% mainly domestically is required.
• Law firm experience in a technology or related practice group is preferred.
• In-house counsel experience is preferred.
For U.S. applicants, in accordance with applicable disclosure requirements, the anticipated base pay range for this position is $159,000 to $273,700. The Company maintains highly competitive, performance-based compensation programs. Under current guidelines, this position is eligible for an annual performance bonus in accordance with the terms of the applicable plan. The annual performance bonus is a cash bonus intended to provide an incentive to achieve annual targeted results by rewarding for individual and the corporation’s performance over a calendar/ performance year. Bonuses are awarded at the Company’s discretion on an individual basis.
Employees may be eligible to participate in Company employee benefit programs such as health insurance, savings plan, pension plan, disability plan, long-term incentive, vacation pay, sick time, holiday pay, and work, personal and family time off in accordance with the terms of the applicable plans. Additional information can be found through the link below.
For additional general information on company benefits, please go to: https://www.careers.jnj.com/employee-benefits
At Johnson & Johnson, we’re on a mission to change the trajectory of health for humanity. That starts by creating the world’s healthiest workforce. Through cutting-edge programs and policies, we empower the physical, mental, emotional and financial health of our employees and the ones they love. As such, candidates offered employment must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or secure an approved accommodation prior to the commencement of employment to support the well-being of our employees, their families and the communities in which we live and work.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
For more information on how we support the whole health of our employees throughout their wellness, career and life journey, please visit www.careers.jnj.com .