The Janssen Campus in Belgium is a major innovation hub and is part of the pharmaceutical companies of Johnson & Johnson. It brings together a unique mix of expertise, skills, and partnerships in research and development (R&D), manufacturing, and the launch of new drugs. We are working together to create a future where disease is a thing of the past.
Johnson & Johnson is committed to ensuring the ethical treatment of animals involved in biomedical research to advance patient safety and well-being. Based on our Beerse campus, we are looking for an expert in European animal welfare & regulatory compliance activities within the European Animal Care Programs in alignment with Global In Vivo Sciences (IVS), Johnson & Johnson Innovative Medicine, and Johnson & Johnson standards.
We are seeking a dedicated individual to join our team as an Animal Welfare and Regulatory Compliance specialist. In this role, you will:
- Collaborate with local committees: Partner with the local ethical committee(s)/animal welfare body(s) and the Global Institutional Official to ensure that the institution meets or exceeds all internal, local, national, and regional laws, policies, regulations, and accreditation standards governing the humane care and use of animals in research and testing.
- Ensure Compliance: Conduct audits, assess operations and evaluate processes to maintain and exceed compliance standards.
- Lead the Animal Welfare Body: Serve as the chair of the local animal welfare body, along with supporting the site ethical committee. Participate in assessments and inspections while maintaining the AAALAC Program Description and applicable regulatory documentation.
- Quality and Compliance Monitoring: Track and report on observed quality and compliance trends within the animal care & welfare programs. Develop and maintain work instructions/standard operating procedures, proposing changes to current practices and policies as needed.
- Advocate for 3Rs: Act as a transparent and effective champion for the 3Rs (Replacement, Reduction, Refinement) principles in animal research.
We are looking for candidates with:
- Analytical and Problem-Solving Skills: Strong analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills.
- Communication and Organization: Excellent oral and written communication skills, combined with strong organizational abilities.
- Independence: Ability to work under time constraints with minimal day-to-day direction
- Regulatory Knowledge: Solid understanding of applicable European legislative and country-level regulations applicable animal welfare guidelines, and AAALAC standards. Familiarity with reading, understanding, verifying accuracy, and documenting various written protocols
- External Collaboration: Capability to work with external regulatory agencies and accreditation groups.
- Safety Compliance: Ability to wear all Personal Protective Equipment required for work tasks.
- Vaccination: Applicable vaccinations may be required for entry and work within specific laboratory and vivarium spaces.
- Drug Discovery and Development: Understanding the overall process of drug discovery and development is preferred.
- Industry Experience: Major biotech/pharma experience is a plus.
- A bachelor's degree in a related field is required, Master's in quality assurance and/or other advanced degrees (DVM, VMD, Ph.D.) is preferred.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in animal-based research
- The overall background of experience and education should be sufficient to allow performance of the job requirements listed.
IVS Essential Personnel Statement:
This is an essential personnel role. Essential Personnel are defined as the staff who are required to report to their designated work location, to ensure the operation of essential functions or departments during an emergency, as determined by Janssen, or when the business has suspended operations. Some individuals may be required to perform essential services remotely and those individuals will be identified in advance and notified by their supervisors, but in most cases, Essential Personnel are required to be on-site during an emergency or suspension of operations.
Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies are equal opportunity employers, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.