Ethicon Biosurgery R&D is recruiting for a Scientist, located in Raritan, New Jersey.
Ethicon, a member of Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies, has made significant contributions to surgery for more than 60 years from creating the first sutures, to revolutionizing surgery with minimally invasive procedures. Our continuing dedication to Shape the Future of Surgery is built on our commitment to help address the world’s most pressing health care issues and improve and save more lives. Through Ethicon’s surgical technologies and solutions including sutures, staplers, energy devices, trocars and hemostats and our commitment to treating serious medical conditions like obesity and cancer worldwide, we deliver innovation to make a life-changing impact. For more information, visit www.ethicon.com .
The Scientist, Biosurgery R&D (Formulation Development) will be working with a multidisciplinary team of scientists and engineers in the discovery and development of differentiated and ownable hemostats and sealants solutions to address important unmet surgical needs.
- Interact with surgeons/nurses/healthcare providers to understand unmet clinical needs and translate insights into device requirements.
- Conduct research and development work supporting design, development, and manufacturing of hemostats, sealants, adhesion prevention or other surgical products according to R&D strategic priorities.
- Proactively seek opportunities to provide technical support to front-end innovation, new product development and life-cycle management (e.g., product/process development & optimization).
- Perform basic and applied research supporting selection of materials and biological/synthetic formulations to advance device development.
- Develop innovative in-vitro models for prototype screening and for elucidation of mechanistic aspects of product performance.
- Represent R&D on cross functional teams.
- Work with patent liaison and attorneys to protect intellectual property of new inventions when feasible.
- Keep abreast of current published research in the field of interest by searching the scientific and intellectual property literature and making recommendations to project teams and management.
- Carry out experiments and perform laboratory procedures to support prototype and/or process development as well as characterization.
- Develop and validate test methods for finished products and raw materials.
- Support Operations group in transferring manufacturing processes from R&D to Operations.
- Analyze experimental data, interpret results, prepare technical reports, present results and recommendations to project teams and management.
- Maintain laboratory equipment, reagents and supplies.
- Follow safety and GxP guidelines including maintaining up-to-date training, following SOPs, maintaining equipment, and proper documentation of laboratory notebooks and logbooks.
- Author/present manuscripts, posters, or other professional publications in internal or external forums.
The anticipated base pay range for this position is $78,625 to $106,375 annually.
- PhD or Master degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, Bio/Biomedical Engineering or related field required.
- Candidates with strong chemistry or biochemistry background are preferred.
Experience and Skills:
- Doctorate degree with at least 1 year of previous industry experience or a Master's degree with at least 3 years of previous industry experience is required.
- Proficiency in formulation development in relevant area is required.
- Hands-on experience with (bio)physical or (bio)chemical characterization (e.g., microscopy, spectroscopy, chromatography, calorimetry, electrophoresis, etc.) is required.
- Demonstrated experience working in cross-functional teams is required.
- Demonstrated ability to independently design, carry out experiments and interpret results is required.
- Strong digital literacy and knowledge of various programs such as Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, Power Point as well as commonly used graphing software and team-based collaboration tools are required.
- Previous product development experience in the Medical Device industry, medical field or other highly regulated industry is preferred.
- In-depth understanding of Medical Devices regulations is preferred.
- Experience in formulation of surgical products for management of intra-operative bleeds/leaks (hemostats or sealants) are preferred.
- Knowledge of mechanical characterization or performance evaluation methods is preferred.
- Experience with animal models is desirable.
- Familiarity with statistical analysis and design of experiments is preferred.
- Understanding of design for manufacturing principles is preferred.
- Experience with scale up and technology transfer to pilot scale and commercial manufacturing is preferred.
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills.
- Candidates must be self-starter, detail-oriented, highly organized.
- Displays passion and enthusiasm for innovation.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Superior interpersonal skills to collaborate with internal and external business partners across functional areas.
- Ability to travel domestically up to 10%
At Johnson & Johnson, we’re on a mission to change the trajectory of health for humanity. That starts by creating the world’s healthiest workforce. Through cutting-edge programs and policies, we empower the physical, mental, emotional and financial health of our employees and the ones they love. As such, candidates offered employment must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or secure an approved accommodation prior to the commencement of employment to support the well-being of our employees, their families and the communities in which we live and work.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
For more information on how we support the whole health of our employees throughout their wellness, career and life journey, please visit www.careers.jnj.com .