Johnson & Johnson MedTech, is recruiting for a Senior Human Factors Engineer, located in Santa Clara, CA.
At Johnson & Johnson MedTech, we’re changing the trajectory of health for humanity, using robotics to enhance healthcare providers’ abilities and improve patients’ diagnoses, treatments, and recovery times. Johnson & Johnson Robotics was established in 2020 with the integration of Auris Health, Verb Surgical, C-SATS, and Ethicon. It comprises three key med-tech platforms: Flexible Robotics (MONARCH®), Surgical Robotics (OTTAVA™), and Digital Solutions. Join our collaborative, rapidly growing teams in the San Francisco Bay Area (Redwood City and Santa Clara), Cincinnati, and Seattle. You’ll collaborate on breakthrough medical technologies that unite multiple subject areas to build a connected digital ecosystem that advances medical professionals’ skills and improves patient outcomes.
You will join the Human Factors & Experience Design (HFXD) team and help shape Ottava, Johnson & Johnson's new surgical robotic system.
As a Senior Human Factors Engineer on the team, you will own multiple Human Factors workstreams that are critical to the success of Ottava. You will work in close partnership with your HF and XD colleagues to meet program objectives, using your disciplinary expertise and passion for safety and usability to influence key design decisions. You will be expected to act with autonomy as a trusted expert, while being able to rely on the support of your team and leadership to support you when needed.
- Apply human factors expertise to the definition, design, and evaluation of our products.
- Partner with other functions (Design, R&D, Regulatory, Clinical) to meet business objectives by creatively solving problems that arise over the course of the product development process.
- Conduct usability and validation-related activities such as large human factors studies assessing critical workflows end-to-end in simulated environments.
- Generate deliverables such as Usability Engineering File documentation, task analyses, usability risk analyses, usability testing protocols / reports throughout the product development process from formative testing of early prototypes through usability validation of final designs.
- Keep abreast of regulations and best practices for medical device human factors (e.g., IEC 62366, AAMI HE75, ISO 14971, and the latest FDA guidance on applying human factors engineering) and advise management regarding potential improvements to internal processes and regulatory issues related to human factors engineering.
Required Skills & Experience:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Human Factors Engineering, Usability Engineering, Cognitive Science, Anthropology, Biomedical Engineering OR equivalent degree
- A minimum 4 years’ human factors/usability engineering experience
- Experience in the planning and execution of all aspects of the HFE process including ethnographic research, formative and summative studies, documentation for design control and risk management.
- Strong knowledge of human factors principles; working knowledge of task and use-related risk analysis methods; basic knowledge of human perception, cognition, anthropometrics, biomechanics, and physiology.
- Familiarity with FDA, ISO, AAMI, and other relevant usability regulations and standards
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- Post-Graduate Degrees (MS, PhD)
- Medical Device product development or experience working in a highly regulated industry.
- Clinical experience and/or professional experience in software and/or hardware development.
- This position is based in Santa Clara, CA and requires up to 10% (Domestic/International) travel.
The anticipated base pay range for this position is [$135,500] to [$183,400].
The Company maintains highly competitive, performance-based compensation programs. Under current guidelines, this position is eligible for an annual performance bonus in accordance with the terms of the applicable plan. The annual performance bonus is a cash bonus intended to provide an incentive to achieve annual targeted results by rewarding for individual and the corporation’s performance over a calendar/ performance year. Bonuses are awarded at the Company’s discretion on an individual basis.
Employees may be eligible to participate in Company employee benefit programs such as health insurance, savings plan, pension plan, disability plan, vacation pay, sick time, holiday pay, and work, personal and family time off in accordance with the terms of the applicable plans. Additional information can be found through the link below.
Eligible for benefits to include medical, dental, vision and time off as well as any others as provided for in the applicable Collective Bargaining Agreement.
For additional general information on company benefits, please go to: - https://www.careers.jnj.com/employee-benefits
At Johnson & Johnson, we’re on a mission to change the trajectory of health for humanity. That starts by creating the world’s healthiest workforce. Through cutting-edge programs and policies, we empower the physical, mental, emotional and financial health of our employees and the ones they love. As such, candidates offered employment must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or secure an approved accommodation prior to the commencement of employment to support the well-being of our employees, their families and the communities in which we live and work.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
For more information on how we support the whole health of our employees throughout their wellness, career and life journey, please visit www.careers.jnj.com .