Robotics and Digital Surgery, part of the Johnson & Johnson MedTech, is recruiting for a Staff Robotics Software Engineer for the Strategic Robotics R&D Team. This position is located in Santa Clara, CA (not remote).
What We Do:
The Strategic Robotics R&D group was created with the purpose of reimagining the future of robotic surgery. We envision an era in which treatment is more targeted, less invasive, and more personalized, serving better patient outcomes and less time spent in the hospital. Our group is uniquely situated to take techniques from the Johnson and Johnson robotics portfolio and ask how can we even better serve patients? To us, R&D requires that all team members have a fundamental clinical understanding of the patient and physician needs. We are building upon this understanding to conceptualize, prototype, and ultimately develop a robotic platform that will elegantly enable us to address these needs.
Who We Are:
We are mechanical, electrical, robotic controls, mechatronics, clinical, and software engineers who are passionate about improving patient care. Our small team is made up of a diverse mix of experienced industry experts, graduates, and every level in between. We have an integrated and iterative approach to product development that requires us to collaborate closely across clinical, I&A, and capital hardware. We value autonomy and empower each other to take action while remaining a supportive and closely knit team. We take pride in our culture and are committed to building an environment that is inclusive and promotes diversity of backgrounds and ideas.
- Work as part of a small, focused, multi-functional team developing robotic solutions for next generation medical robotic systems
- Design and implement software in a real-time, safety-critical environment
- Develop novel methods for human-robot interaction by working closely with clinical engineers and physicians
- Advise design decisions on architecture with mechanical and electrical engineers
- Quickly implement concept proofs and prototypes, and implement robust long term solutions
- Participate in multi-functional design discussions and code reviews
- Participate in clinical procedures and procedure development
- A minimum of a degree in CS 8+ years of experience developing sophisticated applications for complex systems (PhD+3yr, MS+6yr or BS+8yr)
- Deep knowledge of computer science fundamentals (e.g. algorithms, data structures, object-oriented design in UNIX environments)
- Deep knowledge and experience of basic principles pertaining to distributed Robotics Software Architecture/Design (Experience with ROS 2 is a plus)
- Proven hands-on experience designing and implementing software for robotic systems.
- In depth understanding of the C++ language programming and a breadth of technology experience using other languages such as Python
- Driven to work smarter and not necessarily harder
- Excellent communication and documentation skills.
- Familiarity with real-time software and DevOps
- Ability to travel up to 5%, domestic and international
- Ability to work in a regulated environment in compliance to ISO 13485 and 21 CFR 820.
Robotics & Digital Solutions is part of Ethicon, Inc., a global leader in surgical solutions with products found in almost every operating room around the world. Ethicon has made significant contributions to surgery for more than 100 years from crafting the first sutures, to revolutionizing surgery with minimally invasive procedures. Our continuing dedication to Shape the Future of Surgery is built on a foundation of helping address the world's most pressing health care issues, improving and saving more lives. Through Ethicon's surgical technologies and solutions including robotics, digital solutions, sutures, staplers, energy devices, trocars and hemostats and our dedication to treat serious medical conditions like obesity and cancer worldwide, we deliver innovation to make a life-changing impact. For more information, visit www.ethicon.com.
The anticipate base salary for this position is $139k - $224,825.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. We are equal opportunity employers, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.