Janssen Supply Chain is currently looking for a Post-Doctoral Scientist–to be based in Malvern, PA.
At Johnson & Johnson, we believe good health is the foundation of vibrant lives, thriving communities and forward progress. That’s why for more than 130 years, we have sought to keep people well at every age and every stage of life. Today, as the world’s largest and most broadly- based healthcare company, we are committed to using our reach and size for good. We strive to improve access and affordability, build healthier communities, and put a healthy mind, body and environment within reach of everyone, everywhere.
Every day, our more than 130,000 employees across the world are blending heart, science and resourcefulness to profoundly change the trajectory of health for humanity!
The Post-Doctoral scientist who will join the Manufacturing Science and Technology (MSAT) group / Emerging Technology (ET) team will implement innovative solutions in process analytical technology (PAT), in-line, on-line and at-line technologies and modeling to support continuous processing and manufacturing of biopharmaceuticals. New ground-breaking platform technology in monoclonal antibody (drug substance) processing require fresh thinking to support real time measurements and processing for product quality attributes through the use of PAT. Such processing approach is key enabler for pharmaceutical manufacturing.
The incumbent will develop, design and perform process development work to support novel biologics purification activities. They will design and implement experiments in support of upstream and downstream purification development of biologic drugs. They will propose and develop models that improve the analysis (concentration, purity, characteristics) of selected proteins. They will actively provide innovation efforts (e.g. new analytical technologies) in supporting purification and analysis of proteins and large molecules. They will provide Designs Of Experiments (DOE). They will participate in a multi-functional team.
Process development studies will include determination and characterization of process parameters associated with liquid chromatography, concentration and filtration operations, viral clearance.
Application of suitable reduced-laboratory scale models representative of the commercial-scale process will be a key activity in this role.
Experimental studies (around 90%) will include a variety of characterization studies relevant to the stage of development. The ideal candidate will be able to interpret relevant analytical data to drive biologics concentration studies, purification strategies and characterization decisions.
The successful candidate will design and propose workflows and studies, collect, record, and interpret analytical data appropriately. Data will be presented at internal and external meetings. They will be capable of training and mentoring other personnel on techniques and equipment. They will write technical memos with minimal review and keep tabs on scientific developments in analytical chemistry. New concepts and technologies learned in this way will be introduced into the workflow.
- Evaluate new PAT sensors
- Originate, lead and complete projects using analytical chemistry methods applied to large molecules
- Collaborate with various other functions within the larger MSAT and R&D teams
- Develop, validate, and implement impact models at laboratory scale
- Attends in-house seminars and attends scientific meetings as appropriate to support team goals.
- Presents data at in-house research forums, and at outside professional meetings, where applicable
- Hosts visiting outside scientists, where applicable; may be primary collaborator for external investigator
- Develop new strategies for next generation manufacturing
- Lead activities associated with ongoing multivariate analysis projects
- Ph.D. received in the last 0-2 years in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Bioengineering, or related field
- Knowledge and experience in protein characterization with a variety of standard analytical methods (A280, ProG, SEC, etc.) is required
- Training in analytical chemistry and statistics to analyze information and draw conclusions based upon their findings is required
- Strong understanding of material characterization methods, including spectroscopy, chromatography and physical methods is required
- Experience in protein purification is preferred
- Excellent communication, verbal, written, and presentation skills are required
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
For more information on how we support the whole health of our employees throughout their wellness, career and life journey, please visit www.careers.jnj.com