Ethicon’s Robotics & Digital Solutions business, part of Johnson & Johnson MedTech, is recruiting for a Staff R&D Design Engineer, located in Cincinnati, OH.
Robotics and Digital Solutions, is part of Johnson & Johnson Med Tech. At Johnson & Johnson Robotics and Digital Solutions, we’re changing the trajectory of health for humanity, using robotics to enhance healthcare providers’ abilities and improve patients’ diagnoses, treatments, and recovery times. Johnson & Johnson Robotics was established in 2020 with the integration of Auris Health, Verb Surgical, C-SATS, and Ethicon. It comprises three key med-tech platforms: Flexible Robotics (MONARCH®), Surgical Robotics (OTTAVA™), and Digital Solutions. Join our collaborative, rapidly growing teams in the San Francisco Bay Area (Redwood City and Santa Clara), Cincinnati, and Seattle. You’ll collaborate on breakthrough medical technologies that unite multiple subject areas to build a connected digital ecosystem that advances medical professionals’ skills and improves patient outcomes.
In this role, you will design and develop sophisticated robotic instruments that provide robust clinical value. You will be a vital member of a product development team, leading various assignments in collaboration with other design engineers, manufacturing engineers, designers, and multi-functional partners.
- For Robotic Surgery, this represents an excellent opportunity for a candidate who is excited by building groundbreaking surgical capabilities. You will be leading technical design and development across advanced sensing, communications, and system controls through applications of electrical / electro-mechanical technologies. This position holds accountability for our critical enabling technology programs and will work closely with our internal R&D teams and with external development partners as well.
- Ultimately you will be a technical leader responsible for projects from conception through final execution, partnering with other core development teams including mechanical, biomedical, equipment/testing development, and clinical fields to integrate enabling technologies across a broad array of surgical solutions.
- They will design and implement project strategies, be an authority with any outside co-developers, lead and implement R&D projects.
The following skills are key to success in this position:
- Experience designing, developing, and launching medical products.
- Strong electrical design and analysis skills, including an understanding of electrical systems and subsystem boundaries to overall system design. This will include digital, analog, and communications technologies. Knowledge of electronic manufacturing is also key to this role.
- Track record in R&D delivering solutions with complex system components and architecture is required.
- Ability to explain (both written and verbal) complex technical issues to quality engineers, marketers, and technical writers is required.
- Excellent collaboration and teaming skills to work with manufacturing engineering and suppliers to understand the considerations associated with Design for Manufacturing (DFM), Design to Cost (DTC), and working with other team members and consultants to produce prototypes and optimize designs for manufacturability.
- Experience translating high-level customer needs into technical options and analyzing the tradeoffs and business impact.
- Experience with defining test acceptance criteria, developing test methods, and creating test protocols/reports is required. Building prototypes, products, and systems for testing; along with setting up and running laboratory simulations is preferred.
- Experience leading design control activities and design history file implementation per FDA & CE mark standards for medical products is preferred.
- Experience with capital equipment and disposable medical devices is preferred.
- Experience working with software, firmware and hardware is preferred.
- Understanding of surgery, surgical procedures, and the design and application of surgical devices, as well as the quality system / regulatory environment is preferred.
- Designing test procedures, coordinating tests, analyzing results, and developing written reports.
- Conducting and/or participating in technical design reviews of requirements, specifications, designs, etc.
- Strong understanding of design control; the ability to develop and implement design plans, design verification and validation.
- Familiarity working with wireless communications is preferred.
- Experience working with schematics, layouts, and design analysis (Or Cad, Cadence, PSpice, MATLAB) is preferred.
- Must be a self-starter and able to work on tasks independently.
Required skills and experiences:
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or a related science/engineering degree
- A minimum of 7 years design-related experience
- Experience working with PCB design software tools (Altium is preferred).
- Experience in a regulated environment
Preferred skills and experiences:
- An Advanced Degree
- IEC 60601 Requirement knowledge
At Johnson & Johnson, we’re on a mission to change the trajectory of health for humanity. That starts by creating the world’s healthiest workforce. Through cutting-edge programs and policies, we empower the physical, mental, emotional and financial health of our employees and the ones they love. As such, candidates offered employment must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or secure an approved accommodation prior to the commencement of employment to support the well-being of our employees, their families and the communities in which we live and work.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
For more information on how we support the whole health of our employees throughout their wellness, career and life journey, please visit www.careers.jnj.com