At Johnson & Johnson Vision , we have a bold ambition: to change the trajectory of eye health. That’s why, through our operating companies, we’ve developed solutions for every stage of life—to help people see better, connect better and live better. We partner with eye care professionals to provide some of the world’s leading products and technologies to address refractive error, cataracts, dry eye, and beyond. We are committed to using our reach and size for good and strive to put quality eye care within reach of everyone, everywhere. Visit us at www.jjvision.com. Follow @JNJVision on Twitter and Johnson & Johnson Vision on LinkedIn.
Johnson and Johnson Vision (JJV) , part of the Johnson & Johnson family of companies , is currently recruiting fora Staff Engineer - Firmware in Irvine, CA.
As a Staff Firmware Engineer at Johnson & Johnson Surgical Vision, you will develop innovative firmware for our groundbreaking ophthalmic platforms. These include laser vision correction, cataract surgery, occular surface disease, and emerging surgical systems. You'll gain a deep appreciation for improving healthcare by working directly with surgeons and hearing patient stories.
Firmware engineers at Johnson & Johnson work on researching new technologies and applications, developing concept proofs and prototypes, protecting intellectual property, system algorithm development, communication protocols, visualization, integration, testing, debugging, and much more. Controls and interfaces include motors, lasers, fluidics, pneumatics, audio, and other transducers. You will find the best mix of coding and simulation combined with hands-on lab work and multi-functional teamwork.
If you have a passion for firmware and want to work on fun, exciting projects in a multidisciplinary environment that help people live better, this is the job you’ve been searching for. We’re assembling a team of outstanding firmware engineers and are looking for a new team member to join us!
- Develop and deliver robust and safe embedded software for medical devices, from the concept phase and research through design, coding, simulation, testing, integration and debugging, to manufacturing and post-launch support
- Collaborate with engineers in mechanical, electrical, software, test, and other fields to build innovative solutions and ensure requirements and specifications are met
- Help plan projects - scope, budgets, and timelines - and write requirements and test protocols
- Demonstrate leadership and expertise in embedded software development especially for failure mode effects analysis (FMEA) and patents
- Document the design of your software, coordinate code reviews, and participate in the formal release process for medical devices satisfying quality and regulatory requirements
- Live J&J's Credo by demonstrating a dedication to environmental and safety goals, polices, and procedures.
At Johnson & Johnson, we’re on a mission to change the trajectory of health for humanity. That starts by creating the world’s healthiest workforce. Through cutting-edge programs and policies, we empower the physical, mental, emotional, and financial health of our employees and the ones they love. As such, candidates offered employment must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or secure an approved accommodation prior to the commencement of employment to support the well-being of our employees, their families and the communities in which we live and work.
- BS degree required or MS (preferred) in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or related engineering field.
- 7+ years' of engineering experience with firmware / embedded coding in an R&D environment is required.
- A proven track record teaming well with engineers, scientists, and multi-functional teams on the productdevelopment cycle (concept to commercial launch) is required.
- Experience with bringing up and debugging new hardware and software is required.
- Reading and understanding block diagrams and electrical schematics is required.
- Strong C/C++ coding skills are required.
- Knowledge of communication protocols, data acquisition, and physical controllers is required.
- Strong experience with software development tools, version control, communication protocols, and development process is required.
Strong verbal and written communications skills are required
- Medical device experience (IEC 62304) or experience in a regulated industry is preferred.
- Experience with real-time opearting systems is preferred.
- Experience with unit testing of embedded software is preferred.
- Experience with microcontrollers and FPGA's is preferred.
This position is located in Irvine, CA and may require up to 10% travel , especially to the San Jose area.
Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies are equal opportunity employers, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.