Johnson & Johnson Surgical Vision, Inc. a division of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies is recruiting for a Principal System Engineer, R&D located in Milpitas, CA.
At Johnson & Johnson Vision, we have a bold ambition: to change the trajectory of eye health. That’s why, through our operating companies, we’ve developed solutions for every stage of life—to help people see better, connect better and live better. We partner with eye care professionals to provide some of the world’s leading products and technologies to address refractive error, cataracts, dry eye, and beyond. We are committed to using our reach and size for good and strive to put quality eye care within reach of everyone, everywhere. Visit us at www.jjvision.com. Follow @JNJVision on Twitter and Johnson & Johnson Vision on LinkedIn.
The principal system engineer, R&D will provide leadership to the system integration group in the development of ophthalmic surgical equipment. The candidate shall apply engineering, scientific, and clinical knowledge to lead in design control, new product development, and improvements to existing products. The candidate will drive system architecture and requirements, subsystem specification, develop, collaborate, and qualify proper suppliers for critical components/subsystems, have excellent hands-in skills to integrate, characterize and optimize the designs at system and sub-system levels and problem-solving skills to deal with complex and multidisciplinary system issues. This individual will also act as a mentor for junior engineers.
- Collaborate with multi-functional teammates and suppliers or contractors to develop robust system architectures and requirements with validated test methods
- Define, manage, and de-risk subsystem interfaces
- Manage system and subsystem requirements with an emphasis on optics, mechanical, electrical, software and controls
- Coordinate with verification teams to ensure requirements are verifiable
- Guide system and subsystem teams though tradeoff decisions, balancing customer and business benefit with technical complexity, schedule risk, and other factors and become the Interface among internal R&D teams, cross functional teams, and external vendors.
- Hands-on design, integration, and problem-solving for complex medical laser systems and mitigations.
- Research and stay ahead of emerging technology, industry, and regulatory trends to build a competitive advantage
- Advise and mentor teammates on systems engineering and medical device development methodologies.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
- BS degree in mechanical, optical, physics, bio-medical engineering or any related engineering field required, Advanced Degree is preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience working on medical equipment or other complex optomechanical and electromechanical systems. 6+ years’ experience with MS or 4+ years’ experience with PhD
- Strong proficiencies with at least one engineering filed, i.e., mechanical, optical, physics, electrical, software, control, or computer science etc.
- Knowledge of system engineering methodologies like requirement development and management is highly preferred
- The past experience of using requirement management tool (Polarion, Doors or cognition cockpit, etc) is a plus.
- Hands-on experience on system integration and test method development is required.
- Ability to solve complex problems required
- Highly organized and methodological, scientific approach.
- Experience with analytical tools is preferred, such as MATLAB, Python, R or related.
- Experience with statistical analysis and design of experiments (DOE) preferred.
- Ability to be a project or subtask leader on multi-functional teams required
- Collaborative teammate with strong communication skills, written and verbal required
- Experience developing medical device equipment is preferred.
- Ability to travel up to 20%, international and domestic is required.
At Johnson & Johnson, we’re on a mission to change the trajectory of health for humanity. That starts by creating the world’s healthiest workforce. Through cutting-edge programs and policies, we empower the physical, mental, emotional and financial health of our employees and the ones they love. As such, depending on location and subject to local legislation, candidates offered employment may be required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or, in certain countries, secure an approved accommodation prior to the commencement of employment to support the well-being of our employees, their families and the communities in which we live and work. If you are invited to interview for the position, your recruiter will advise on the vaccine requirement status in your geographic location.