Janssen-Ortho Inc. is recruiting for a MSL Senior Manager, Neuroscience and Rare Disease, located in Toronto, CA. This is a field-based role.
The MSL Senior Manager, NS and Rare Disease:
- Leads, mentors, and develops a group of MSLs who provide scientific and research support to health care professionals and internal business partners related to current and future Janssen products.
- Ensures the development of field medical strategies and leads the MSL team implementation of the field operational plan in alignment with the corporate and medical strategic objectives set in collaboration with the Medical Director. The MSL team is accountable for the execution of the field Medical Sciences Plan. They also provide field insights to inform business strategy.
- Ensures effectiveness in the field through the execution of adequate metrics / Key Performance Indicators, coaching tools, training programs and assures the correct alignment with internal processes and guidelines.
- Collaborates with TA Head to guide the strategic direction of the activities of the MSLs, ensuring alignment with the other regional teams from other functional areas.
- Creates a compliant environment, identifying and evaluating the risks of the activities of the role, and recommending effective controls and improvement processes.
- Development and ongoing updates of the MSL-related components of the Guidelines for Medical Affairs and Sales Coordination
- Leads and develops field based MSL teams in support of the Medical Plan while creating a culture of innovation and collaboration.
- Ensures collaborative and compliant alignment of MSL activities with Commercial and Medical customer facing roles and according to field medical plan and company directives.
- Responsible for recruiting and on-boarding, performance management and career development for a qualified and diverse team of MSLs.
- Facilitates scientific and skill training, as well as mentoring and coaching to support professional development.
- Supports customer insight collection and communicates field insights and actionable items to leadership and other internal partners, as appropriate.
- Ensures compliance with all local regulatory requirements and Global Policies and Guidelines.
- Contributes as a member on internal project teams representing field medical affairs and customer perspectives as appropriate.
- Oversees allocated field medical budget.
- Identifies and implements fundamental standards and best practices for the role. Implementation of policies for MSLs, seeking to standardize activities and processes to minimize operational, strategic and corporate responsibility risks.
- Establishment of auditable standards and metrics on the function of the MSLs.
- Continuous evaluation of the market, to understand the current trends of the external MSLs and in this way, provide guidance, ensuring that Janssen innovates continuously.
- Creation of strategies and alignment of support processes for the activities of the MSLs, based on the needs of the therapeutic area and the business.
- Formulation of strategies to develop skills and competencies needed in MSLs, focusing on career plans and internal growth within the organization.
- Development of comprehensive collaborative training standards for MSLs, aligning with existing proposals for that purpose.
- Develops expertise on the correct use of iConnect, ensuring team entries are standardized and up to date; ensures effective collection and reporting of data
- Analyzes iConnect data and provides regular reports to the Medical Affairs Director on the performance of the team.
- Represents Canada on any regional/global initiatives aimed at optimizing MSL effectiveness
- Assessment and approval of expense reports, and administrative budget updates in a timely fashion
- Communicates MSL team achievement updates to appropriate internal partners and levels of management
- Provides an optimal working environment by promoting/functioning according to the Credo value, communication of a clear direction, active listening, respecting diversity, encouraging collaborative partnership, empowering direct reports, follow up on commitments, promoting innovation, and rewarding high performance
- At least 3+ years of experience in the pharmaceutical industry and/or therapeutic area within medical/scientific affairs, it’s desirable to have at least 2 years of previous experience as an MSL.
- Demonstrated experience of managing clinical/scientific programs with a high degree of autonomy, including successfully managing significant programs from study concept to publication.
- Strong knowledge of GCP, IMC code and Healthcare Compliance policies and procedures. Familiarity with working in an environment guided by SOPs.
- Strategic thinking and positive track record of flawless execution.
- Proven ability to effectively communicate information to KOLs, as well as non-experts.
- Ability to put data into perspective and communicate it concisely, as required.
- Demonstrated critical thinking, strong project management skills and ability to impact decision making with relevant partners
- Prioritization skills and big picture orientation.
- Scientific acumen.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, multitask and follow through in a field-based role.
- Bilingualism in French and English is an asset
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and other relevant software programs; previous experience with iConnect/Veeva or another Customer Relationship Management tool would be an asset
- Experience developing and/or executing product strategy.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills including an ability to effectively observe, assess and mentor others on communicating complex technical, scientific or medical information to broad audience types.
- Solid knowledge of local regulatory requirements.
- Strong leadership capabilities.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to travel (percentage varies)
- Builds and develops effective people and teams.
- Demonstrates personal commitment and enforces appropriate guidelines and policies.
- Manages performance, development and field budget for MSL team.
- Provides clarity and context around strategic direction, ensuring tactical execution of MSL field POA.
- Applies organizational savvy.
- Builds relationships and uses appropriate interpersonal skills.
Diversity and inclusion are central elements of the shared culture across the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies. Attracting, developing and retaining a workforce that reflects the diversity of our customers and communities is essential to our success. We are committed to providing a respectful, inclusive and accessible work environment where all employees have the opportunity to achieve their potential.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
For more information on how we support the whole health of our employees throughout their wellness, career and life journey, please visit www.careers.jnj.com .