Robotics and Digital Solutions, part of the Johnson & Johnson family of companies, is recruiting
for a Principal Robotics Software Engineer. This position is located in Santa Clara, CA.
At Johnson & Johnson Robotics and Digital Solutions, we're changing the trajectory of health for
humanity, using robotics to enhance healthcare providers’ abilities and improve diagnoses,
treatments, and recovery times for patients. Johnson & Johnson Robotics was established in
2020 with the integration of Auris Health, Verb Surgical, C-SATS, and Ethicon. It comprises three
key med-tech platforms: Flexible Robotics (MONARCH®), Surgical Robotics (OTTAVA™) and
Digital Solutions. Join our collaborative, rapidly growing teams based in the San Francisco Bay
Area (Redwood City and Santa Clara), Cincinnati, and Seattle. You'll collaborate on
breakthrough medical technologies that unite multiple subject areas to build a connected
digital ecosystem that advances medical professionals’ skills and improves patient outcomes.
The Principal Robotics Software Engineer plays a key role in the development of the Ottava
robotic surgical platform. The candidate will understand the system from both a technical
perspective and the user’s viewpoint, and contribute algorithms and software implementations
that ultimately drive definition and development of Robotics and Digital Solutions. We will set a
new industry benchmark for robotic surgical capability. We are looking for a candidate who can
work independently and function well within a team. The candidate is flexible, self-motivated,
curious and passionate about revolutionizing the world of medical robotics. Additionally, the
Principal Robotics Software Engineer, works closely with other team members to control,
simulate, and implement robotic systems.
• Work closely with other robotics and controls engineers to design, implement and test
robotic algorithms (kinematics, dynamics, controls, etc.) using C++ in a real-time and
• Collaborate with other specialists (mechanical, electrical, clinical) as part of a focused
multi-functional team developing robotics and controls software and algorithms for
• Develop novel methods for human-robot interaction, working closely with clinical
engineers and physicians.
• Identify areas of technical risk and design experiments to evaluate and resolve.
• Quickly implement concept proofs and prototypes, and test on systems.
• Lead and participate in software design discussions and code reviews (both internal and
multi-functional) for robotic algorithms and workflows.
• Create specifications and requirements based on clinical and user inputs.
One of the following combinations of education and experience is required;
A.) 9+ years of relevant industry experience developing sophisticated robotics applications for complex electro-mechanical systems in combination with a Master's (Computer Science, Robotics, Control, or equivalent areas) OR
B.) 6+ years with PhD (Computer Science, Robotics, Control, or equivalent areas) in developing sophisticated robotics applications for complex electro-mechanical systems
- Excellent C++ development skills, including software design/architecture and hardware integration is required.
- Demonstrated experience with robot algorithm development, implementation, and debugging is required.
- Knowledge in robotic system design, integration, debugging, verification, and testing is required.
- In-depth understanding of robotics fundamentals (e.g. kinematics, dynamics, control theory, modelling, calibration, system characterization & identification) is required.
- In-depth understanding of computer science fundamentals (e.g. algorithms, data structures, object-oriented design in UNIX environments) is beneficial.
- Collaborative teammate with excellent written and in-person communication skills is essential.
- Experience with Unit Testing and software Verification and Validation processes is preferred.
- Experience with real-time and multi-threaded software applications and RTOS is desirable.
- Experience developing safety-critical software is beneficial.
- Experience with Python is beneficial.
- Experience working in an Agile environment is preferred.
- Previous experience working in a regulated environment is preferred.
- Previous experience working in compliance to ISO 13485 and 21 CFR 820 is beneficial.
The anticipated salary range for this position is $166,000 - $267,145.
For more than 130 years, diversity, equity & inclusion (DEI) have been part of our cultural fabric at Johnson & Johnson and is woven into how we do business every day. Our commitment to respect the dignity and diversity of all is embedded in our Credo.
We know that the success of our business depends on having the best talent in a workforce that reflects the diverse markets we serve around the world and an inclusive culture that values different perspectives and life experiences. We provide an environment not only to fulfill your career aspirations, but also to support your physical and mental well-being. At Johnson & Johnson, we offer a variety of outstanding health and financial benefits, including competitive compensation, 401k, pension, medical, dental, and vision insurance, exercise reimbursement, flexible time off, paid volunteer and parental leave, and more!
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.