Ethicon Endo Surgery Inc., a member of Johnson & Johnson's Companies, is recruiting for a Senior Optical Development Engineer, Advanced Visualization; the preferred location is Santa Clara, CA, and alternate locations of Cincinnati, OH, or Raritan, NJ, will be considered.
Ethicon, part of J&J Medical Devices Companies, has made substantial contributions to surgery for more than 60 years from creating the first sutures, to revolutionizing surgery with minimally invasive procedures. Our continuing dedication to Shape the Future of Surgery is built on our commitment to help address the world's most pressing health care issues and improve and save more lives. Through Ethicon's surgical technologies and solutions including sutures, staplers, energy devices, trocars and hemostats and our dedication to treat serious medical conditions like obesity and cancer worldwide, we deliver innovation to make a life-changing impact. For more information, visit www.ethicon.com.
Our team of engineers, designers, and technical specialists are in the forefront of technology in the medical device industry. As a Senior Optical Development Engineer, you will make vital contributions to the New Product Development (NPD) and NPI (New Product Introduction) pipeline and transform patient care through innovation. Our Development Engineering staff works with NPD teams and Suppliers to develop robust component designs and manufacturing processes that meet or exceed all product requirements.
This position places an emphasis on working closely with multi-disciplinary engineering teams to develop sophisticated medical devices. Candidates must be self-motivated, independent and have an eagerness to learn and work as a team, and a desire to thrive in a dynamic environment. In this position, you are expected to demonstrate sophisticated optical, electrical, and mechanical engineering knowledge, be able to independently resolve approaches to difficult technical problems and communicate broadly across engineering teams and associated management.
- Work with internal and external partners to plan, design, develop, qualify, validate, and stabilize component and equipment development process solutions for New Product Development (NPD) projects.
- Lead and support Design Transfer using optical assembly knowledge to provide process development, build coordination, technical support and troubleshooting assistance to internal and external partners.
- Leverage knowledge of optical fabrication to provide development engineering support in the design transfer of complex electro-opto-mechanical systems to manufacturing, using DFX and Continuous Improvement methodologies.
- Apply engineering principles, world-class manufacturing techniques, statistics, and judgment to resolve complex technical challenges, establish new methods, controls, and procedures.
- Lead discussions between Design and Supplier to select and develop robust manufacturing process using Design for Manufacturing (DFM), Design for Assembly (DFA), Design to Cost (DTC), Design for Metrology tools and associated documentation including specifications, PFMEA, and Control Plans.
- Act as the liaison between the R&D, Product Management, Quality as well as component & equipment suppliers and provide "voice of manufacturing" to ensure product/equipment designs incorporate DFM/A principals and/or Lean Six Sigma/DMAIC/DMADV process knowledge.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum B.S (Mechanical, Electrical, Optical Engineer or other related Engineering field equivalent) and 5 years industry experience.
- Engineering experience in either electrical, electro-mechanical, opto-mechanical, or electro-optical products and component or equipment.
- Experience in the areas of Design for Manufacturing or Assembly (DFM/A) around injection molding, machining, and optical equipment.
- Able to read and understand optical, electro-optical, mechanical and electrical drawings and apply optical testing principles.
- Experience working closely with external or third-party suppliers.
- Knowledge and application of GD&T (e.g., ASME Y14.5).
- Measurement Systems Analysis experience (e.g., GR&R).
- Statistical Analysis knowledge (e.g., Design of Experiments (DOE), Process Stability/Control/Capability) and PFMEA.
- Understand equipment concept creation, review approval, build, run off, FAT, software validation, and IQ, OQ, PQ road map requirements.
- Proven interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to work successfully in a team environment.
- Strong technical communication skills and proven ability to work independently.
- Experience working in a highly regulated industry.
- Experience designing, developing, and testing the manufacturing of electro-mechanical, fiber or laser equipment and systems, including test and process development.
- Experienced with optical manufacturing processes and techniques such as tolerancing, diamond turning, grinding, polishing and coatings.
- Experienced with optical and electro-optical assembly processes and techniques such as fixturing, alignment, centering, staking, bonding, performance testing, handling, and cleaning of optical elements and assemblies.
- Knowledgeable about medical-specific assembly technologies, the equipment supplier base, and the capabilities of the suppliers.
- Process Excellence Six Sigma knowledge or certification.
- Basic understanding of product design processes.
- Test methods development (TMD) & Test methods validation (TMV) experience.
- Experience with one or more of the following: laser welding, riveting, laser etching, soldering, pressing, joining, extrusion, over molding, coating, and/or design for assembly experiences.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
For more information on how we support the whole health of our employees throughout their wellness, career and life journey, please visit www.careers.jnj.com .
The anticipated base pay range for this position is $88,000.00 to $141,450.
For candidates in the San Francisco Bay area $101,000.00 to $162,725.