Johnson & Johnson Innovation is recruiting a Head of JLABS Singapore. The goal of Johnson & Johnson Innovation is to advance transformative healthcare solutions that improve the lives of people around the world and, in so doing, to deliver value to Johnson & Johnson (“J&J”). JJI accomplishes this by catalyzing new science and technology through collaboration and exchange of ideas. This growing team is looking for a colleague inspired to help build and innovate new ways of fostering the productive life-science ecosystem of Singapore.
This position will be responsible for setting the strategic direction and overseeing all portfolio and business operational activities for JLABS Singapore. This position will also be part of the Global Johnson & Johnson Innovation JLABS leadership team.
Johnson & Johnson Innovation – JLABS (JLABS) is the largest global network of open innovation ecosystems, enabling and empowering emerging companies with the knowledge, experience, partnerships, and venture connections across a broad healthcare spectrum including pharmaceutical, medical device, consumer, and health tech sectors. Our goal is to catalyze and accelerate the delivery of lifesaving, life-enhancing solutions to patients around the world. JLABS is a no-strings-attached model, which means innovators are free to develop their science and technology while holding on to their intellectual property. JLABS also produces campaigns to seek out the best science and technology called QuickFire Challenges.
• Lead the strategic direction of JLABS Singapore including the following:
o Portfolio assessment and management of the Singapore life science ecosystem
o Sourcing support and leverage best practices to curate a high value portfolio
o Select companies and prescribe steps to reach the next milestones
o Establish Investor Hub
o Integration and access to portfolio management tools
o Programming and Events
o Quick Fire Challenges
• Develop, cultivate, and manage relationships with key stakeholders and partners in Singapore including public facing stakeholders, strategic marketing partners, industry professionals, trade associations, government, academia, key opinion leaders and potential sponsors.
• Serve as the alliance manager for JLABS Singapore collaborators
• Deliver on tracking metrics and deliverables for JLABS Singapore
• Internal collaboration with each of Johnson & Johnson sectors, including pharm, medical device and consumer, and other internal capabilities
• Internal collaborations with all JNJ Innovation Centers (Shanghai, California, Boston, London) to complete deals strategic to the J&J portfolio strategy
• Venture Sourcing & Development within Pharma and MedTech
• Managing the communications, relationships, and performance of 20-50 external collaborators
The successful applicant will have deep experience and understanding of the pharma, and/or the MedTech industries, an entrepreneurial experience having started and/or run a start-up or a business unit within a larger corporation with excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach and develop high-performance teams and develop and implement program strategies.
S/he must be an analytic and decisive decision maker with the ability to prioritize and communicate to staff key objectives and tactics necessary to achieve organizational goals with demonstrated experience in initiating, establishing, and managing partnerships with academic institutions and companies, including the interplay between internal and external stakeholders.
S/he must have a demonstrated experience as part of negotiation team, with a demonstrated ability to contribute to establishing relationships at a fast pace while developing a collegial, collaborative relationship with a potential partner and be comfortable working with other team members, including scientific leads, transaction, legal, finance, marketing, and commercial teams to progress and complete partnerships.
S/he must be of a collaborative mindset and a strong team player and communicator to develop and present strategic and scientific rationale to key internal constituencies.
S/he must be curious to think about, develop and present innovative ways for outreach and interaction with the healthcare ecosystem, and for “out-of-the-box” ideas and willing to take on responsibilities for helping to develop and strengthen J&J’s shared culture.
S/he must possess strong written and verbal communication skills with a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent public speaking skills.
S/he must be an action-oriented, entrepreneurial, flexible, and innovative approach to operational management with a passion, humility, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed.
• An advanced degree (MBA and/or a MD or PhD) is preferred.
• English, Mandarin would be a plus.
• A Minimum of 15 years of experience and a track record in senior program management is required
• At least 10 years of relevant professional experience in the healthcare industry is required.
• S/he must possess deep experience in program budgeting and fiscal management with experience in business development, technology transfer, management consulting, and/or venture capital investing.
• Experience in the evaluation and execution of a diverse set of business development opportunities is required.
• Demonstrated adaptability to work across functions and therapeutic areas is required.
• Some travel (Regional and West and East coast US) will be required.
This position is to be located Singapore and requires willingness to travel (both domestically & internationally) up to 25% of the time.
BE VITAL in your career. Be seen for the talent you bring to your work. Explore opportunities within the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies.