Janssen Research & Development, LLC, a member of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies, is recruiting for a Senior Director, Head of RNA Therapeutics located in Brisbane, CA.
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, we are working to create a world without disease. Transforming lives by finding new and better ways to prevent, intercept, treat and cure disease inspires us. We bring together the best minds and pursue the most promising science. We are Janssen. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it. Learn more at www.janssen.com and follow us @JanssenGlobal.
The individual will report into the Global Head of RNA, Gene Therapy and Delivery. The role represents an unusual opportunity to both lead the growing oligonucleotide-based platform chemistry and biology teams in our internal research network while shaping the strategic aspects of our partnered research in the field of oligonucleotides.
The head is responsible for the leadership of our US-based RNA Therapeutics team, which is focused on advancing critical discovery projects within our network, while continuing to expand the boundaries of how drugs can be targeted to specific tissues and cells. The leader will be responsible for partnering with Therapeutics Discovery (TD) and Therapeutic Area (TA) scientists across our global network of discovery sites. The leader will be accountable for:
- Providing strategic, resourcing, technical, and people leadership for RNA therapeutics organization in San Francisco Bay Campus (currently ~18 scientists), ensuring the group has a high impact on Janssen discovery pipeline projects
- Ensuring high impact of the group on Janssen discovery pipeline projects
- Integrating with TD & TA to transform how oligonucleotide therapeutics can be selectively targeted to design best-in-class drug candidates.
There are several critical success factors for this role. First, the Head will be responsible for defining and operationalizing a forward looking, ambitious, highly competitive vision and strategy for our RNA therapeutics efforts, in line with the strategy of Therapeutic Discovery as part of the larger Discovery, Product Development and Supply organization (DPDS). Close, productive collaboration and interaction with relevant internal and external partners will be integral to success.
The position holder will demonstrate exemplary leadership skills together with managerial expertise to engage, motivate and foster productive collaborations across sites and functions within the RNA Gene Therapy and Delivery team. They will be a role model for our leadership imperatives and will translate these to specific actions/initiatives with both the Therapeutics Discovery team and our external partners. This individual will serve as SME and interact closely with the J&J Innovation Centres and with Business Development to provide appropriate insights and expert diligence on promising opportunities in the external innovation environment.
- PhD in chemistry, biochemistry or a related field and 10-15 years of experience in oligonucleotide chemistry, preferably in the pharmaceutical or biotech industry.
- The candidate must be well versed in the impactful use of oligonucleotide therapeutics, including ASO or siRNA drug candidates and RNA delivery strategies.
- The individual must have demonstrated success as both a drug discovery scientist and platform leader in oligonucleotide therapeutics. As part of this, the individual must have a demonstrated ability to recognize/formulate integrated, scientifically robust plans for approaches to lead optimization, formulation selection, and other delivery options.
- The candidate must have leadership and management experience leading drug discovery teams.
- Preferably, the candidate will have experience in strategies for targeting therapeutic agents to specific tissues or cells, such as antibody-drug-conjugates, lipid nanoparticle delivery, etc.
- The ability to deftly manage and prioritize resources across multiple projects and platform priorities is highly desirable.
- The candidate’s deep scientific track record should be documented through inventorship, a strong publication record in peer reviewed journals, and a history of giving presentations at major scientific meetings.
- The individual must be able incorporate a global focus and smoothly operate in multiple cultural environments, time zones and regions. References should support that they are recognized as a valued collaborator by internal and external partners.
The anticipated base pay range for this position is $210,000 to $362,365.
For more information on how we support the whole health of our employees throughout their wellness, career and life journey, please visit www.careers.jnj.com .
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability
Eligible for benefits to include medical, dental, vision and time off as well as any others as provided for in the applicable Collective Bargaining Agreement.
For additional general information on company benefits, please go to: - https://www.careers.jnj.com/employee-benefits