Janssen Research & Development, L.L.C., a division of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies, is recruiting for a Senior Principal Scientist, Oligonucleotide Chemistry, RNA & Targeted Therapeutics within Therapeutics discovery. This position will be based in Brisbane, CA.
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, we are working to create a world without disease. Transforming lives by finding new and better ways to prevent, intercept, treat and cure disease inspires us. We bring together the best minds and pursue the most promising science.
We are Janssen. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it. Learn more at www.janssen.com and follow us @JanssenGlobal. Janssen Research & Development, LLC is part of the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies.
RNA and Targeted Therapeutics is an organization within Therapeutics Discovery committed to the delivery of high-quality drug candidates in the novel synthetic modalities space working closely with all six Janssen Therapeutic Areas (TA) discovery teams.
Our mission requires strategic thinking, portfolio mindset and deep scientific expertise in several disciplines including oligonucleotide chemistry, bioconjugation chemistry, nanotechnology, cellular and molecular pharmacology, and screening technologies coupled with an ability to work collaboratively with internal and external partners. We are currently seeking an outstanding individual to join our team as a Senior Principal Scientist, Oligonucleotide Chemistry, RNA & Targeted Therapeutics. This role offers tremendous growth opportunity within a dynamic and science-driven organization.
- As a project leader, drive and direct oligonucleotide chemistry functions for siRNA, antisense, or other nucleic acid discovery projects, working in concert with partners in molecular and cellular biology, pharmacology, computational chemistry, ADME, structural biology, chemical development, and other key functions
- Serve as a scientific expert in nucleic acid drug discovery with both internal and external partners and provide recommendations regarding new targets and emerging external opportunities;
- Provide scientific direction and leadership for oligonucleotide and synthetic chemistry activities of internal & external FTEs
- Supervise and direct synthetic chemistry activities at contract research organizations (CROs)
- Maintain a significant level of knowledge and management of laboratory research, and executes synthesis, purification, and characterization of oligonucleotides in the lab;
- Analyze screening data, perform literature reviews, design, propose, and execute nucleic acid chemistry plans, coordinate chemistry and biology data to support oligonucleotide compound progression and patent strategies
- Ensure efficient interaction/communication and provide updates on project status to Discovery Sciences leadership
- PhD in synthetic organic or medicinal chemistry is required
- Postdoctoral experience with an emphasis on oligonucleotide or nucleoside chemistry is preferred
- At least 6 years of experience in the biopharmaceutical industry with proven track record of leading innovative oligonucleotide discovery projects is required. Ten or more year of experience is preferred.
- Industry experience focused on siRNA therapeutics is preferred.
- Experience as a project leader in the biopharmaceutical industry is strongly preferred
- Experience in one or more therapeutic areas/oligonucleotide modalities is preferred
- Expert knowledge of modern methods of synthetic chemistry with an emphasis on oligonucleotide synthesis and characterization is preferred
- Expertise in nucleic acid modalities, modification chemistries, sequence selection, and mechanism of action is preferred
- Strong track record of scientific contributions including peer reviewed first-author publications, patent applications, and/or presentations at major national meetings is preferred
- Maintaining a very productive lab presence is required.
- This position is located in Brisbane, CA, and may require up to 10% travel
At Johnson & Johnson, we’re on a mission to change the trajectory of health for humanity. That starts by creating the world’s healthiest workforce. Through cutting-edge programs and policies, we empower the physical, mental, emotional, and financial health of our employees and the ones they love. As such, candidates offered employment must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or secure an approved accommodation prior to the commencement of employment to support the well-being of our employees, their families and the communities in which we live and work.
For more information on how we support the whole health of our employees throughout their wellness, career and life journey, please visit www.careers.jnj.com .
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.