Ethicon, part of Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies, is recruiting for a Principal Opto-Mechanical Engineer, Advanced Robotic Endoscopes, located in Santa Clara, CA.
Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices is focused on shaping the future of digital surgery and expanding its robotics and digital solutions offerings across the entire portfolio, with multi-specialty, end-to-end solutions in orthopedics, endoluminal intervention and general surgery. This includes the MONARCH® platform, a first-of-its-kind robotic technology indicated for bronchoscopic visualization of and access to patient airways for diagnostic and therapeutic procedures in the lung.
Ethicon, part of Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies, has made significant contributions to surgery for more than 100 years from creating the first sutures, to revolutionizing surgery with minimally invasive procedures. Our continuing dedication to Shape the Future of Surgery is built on our commitment to help address the world's most pressing health care issues and improve and save more lives. Through Ethicon's surgical technologies and solutions including sutures, staplers, energy devices, trocars and hemostats and our commitment to treat serious medical conditions like obesity worldwide, we deliver innovation to make a life-changing impact. For more information, visit www.ethicon.com .
This is a Mechanical Architect role to lead design, development, and manufacturing of advanced chip-on-tip endoscopes for JnJ Ottava robotic system. This represents an excellent opportunity if you are excited by contributing to pushing boundaries of minimally invasive surgery through robot-assisted operation that allows doctors to perform many types of complex procedures with more precision, flexibility, and control. You will lead opto-mechanical aspects on a fast-pace robotic endoscope program and work in collaboration with the members of the Vision Engineering team as well as external vendors and partners. You must have passion and skills for building sophisticated miniaturized opto-mechanical systems with a critical eye towards details.
Key responsibilities include:
- Conceptualize, design, develop, manufacture, test and verify imaging endoscopes for robotic visualization
- Work across the boundaries of optical and mechanical design, ensuring required image quality, manufacturability, packaging in a tight space; solving alignment and thermal issues
- Lead and influence internal cross-functional teams and external partners to execute feasibility and product development efforts
- Serve as a domain expert in evaluation of customer needs, potential technology solutions, and design of programs to advance these technologies
- Partner with internal and external organizations to ensure technical solutions and approaches meet project needs and timeline
- Establish and maintain strong, productive relationships and collaborations across internal, external, and partner organizations.
- Be a caring mentor to junior engineers
- Create innovative solutions and intellectual property
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Industrial Engineering, or related field
- Minimum of 8 years of product design and prototyping experience
- 8 years of experience with 3D CAD tools and architecting entire devices
- Direct experience working across company and organizational boundaries, in many cases without direct authority, to build relationships, define mutual goals, and collaborate to meet objectives
- Experience translating high-level customer needs into technical solutions, analyzing the tradeoffs and business impact
- Experience with creating clear product requirements and specifications
- Deep understanding and experience applying precision design principles in the context of kinematic mounting of optical components, packaging optical assemblies, and evaluating tolerance analysis tradeoffs.
- Experience reducing complex multi-lens designs to practice, understanding design and manufacturing constraints for building assemblies
- Demonstrated experience in material selection appropriate to mechanically and thermally stable optical systems
- Demonstrated experience with thermal management of electronics packaging in constrained space
- Excellent collaboration with cross-functional teams, including external design houses, manufacturing engineering, and suppliers to produce prototypes and optimize designs for manufacturability
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to travel up to 10%, international and domestic
- This position is located in Santa Clara, CA
- Masters or Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, or related field
- Experience in medical devices and related regulatory standards
- Experience with endoscope design and manufacturing, including sensors, illumination, fiber optics, and overall packaging
- Experience with manufacturing and testing of high-precision opto-mechanical assemblies
- Data and statistical analysis, and test automation scripting using MATLAB or Python.
- Understanding of surgery, surgical procedures, and the design and application of surgical devices
- Strong understand of design controls; the ability to develop and execute design plans, design verification and validation.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.