Janssen Research & Development is recruiting for a Scientist, Molecular Design and Optimization, located in Cambridge, MA.
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, we are working to create a world without disease. Transforming lives by finding new and better ways to prevent, intercept, treat and cure disease inspires us. We bring together the best minds and pursue the most promising science. We are Janssen. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it. Learn more at www.janssen.com and follow us @JanssenGlobal. Janssen Research & Development is part of the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies.
Janssen R&D is seeking an outstanding Scientist for their newly created Molecular Design and Optimization group. This successful candidate will lead on developing and implementing high throughput protein optimization workflows to deliver on projects of antibody and protein therapeutics. The position responsibilities also include portfolio project leadership and an opportunity to interact with world-class scientists in different therapeutic areas including oncology, immunology, metabolic diseases, neurology and infectious diseases.
- Build and implement workflows of protein variant design and construction.
- Familiar with high throughput screening methods such as ELISA, FACS, Cell binding and sequence recovery and analysis from various optimization campaigns.
- Responsible for designing strategies for molecular optimization, and characterization, and for leading projects in their execution.
- Identify, champion and validate new and emerging library assembly strategies into existing workflows and for “portfolio readiness.”
- Contribute to optimization efforts of portfolio project to deliver NME ready therapeutic molecules.
- Contribute to due diligence activities for a variety of in-licensing opportunities, patent application examples, writing scientific publications and presenting at conferences.
- Lead / participate in project teams to advance discovery portfolio projects.
- Independently organize and present/defend scientific findings in multi-functional project teams/initiatives.
- PhD (or Master’s) in molecular biology, bioengineering, biochemistry, biophysics or a related field with 1-3 years (5+ for Master’s candidate) of biologics experience in a biopharmaceutical organization is required.
Experience and Skills:
- Hands-on experience in various molecular biology techniques in design and library generation of protein variants.
- Strong knowledge and hands-on experience with high throughput screening and selection.
- Data interpretations and presentation of results to teams.
- Sound understanding of biophysical and biochemical methods for protein analysis, including ELISA, SPR, and / or flow cytometry, thermal stability analysis, and protein expression / purification from mammalian and bacterial cells.
- Working knowledge of antibody structure-function relationship, sequence optimization and designing antibodies with excellent biophysical and manufacturing properties.
- Enthusiasm for stepping out of the box and a collaborative spirit with demonstration of successful implementation of new ideas with calculated risk taking.
- Ability to lead by influence and communicate across teams with diverse backgrounds.
- Knowledge and hand-on experience with strategies for antibody and protein engineering design and screening.
- Hands on experience with techniques such as phage display is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated experience with innovative high-throughput molecular biology methods.
- Knowledge of automation systems for high throughput cloning, screening, and expression.
- Understanding of antibody structure-function relationships.
- Programming/scripting skills are a plus.
- Good publication records or patents.
- Excellent communication skills in writing and presentation.
At Johnson & Johnson, we’re on a mission to change the trajectory of health for humanity. That starts by creating the world’s healthiest workforce. Through cutting-edge programs and policies, we empower the physical, mental, emotional and financial health of our employees and the ones they love. As such, candidates offered employment must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or secure an approved accommodation prior to the commencement of employment to support the well-being of our employees, their families and the communities in which we live and work.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
For more information on how we support the whole health of our employees throughout their wellness, career and life journey, please visit www.careers.jnj.com .