Abiomed, part of Johnson & Johnson MedTech, is a leading provider of medical devices that provide circulatory and respiratory support, with a mission of recovering hearts & saving lives. Abiomed's "Patients First!" culture drives our skilled workforce and strong relationships with clinicians. Our innovative product portfolio and robust pipeline provide us the incredible opportunity to bring lifesaving technology to more patients around the world than ever before. Founded in 1981, Abiomed has a proven track record for growth, integrity and innovation.
Patients First | Innovation | Winning Culture | Heart Recovery
The Production Engineering co-op will assist in the design, development, improvement and validation of manufacturing processes, tooling, and fixtures to meet daily production schedules, reduce defects and enhance productivity and product quality.
The student will:
- Support global process improvements, production floor support and production transfer efforts through recurring meeting coordination/attendance.
- Work in cross-functional teams that span global operations.
- Use Lean and Six Sigma tools to analyze process trend data or communicate issues based upon data driven approach. Identify opportunities for process and yield improvement projects.
- Support commercial production of new products, product changes, and enhancements in coordination with the Operations, Product Development and Quality Assurance organizations.
- Support and enforce company goals and objectives, policies and procedures, Good Manufacturing Practices, Good Documentation Practices, FDA QSR and ISO regulations.
- Assist in the development and maintaining of process documentation including assembly procedures, test procedures, routers, travelers, BOMs, process flows, and process FMEAs.
- Help execute process validations including generation of plans, protocols and reports.
- Qualify and optimize processes and tooling via IQ/OQ/PQ, Gage R&R Studies, Process Capability Studies and Designs of Experiments.
- Participate in the investigation of failures and formulation and implementation of action plans for all internal corrective actions, audit findings
- Maintain accurate documentation of concepts, designs, and processes while maintaining current knowledge of medical, technical, and biomedical developments as related to Abiomed products.
- Work with product development staff to ensure that products under development are designed for manufacture, test, and inspection as appropriate.
· Junior, senior or grad student pursuing a degree in engineering.
· Prior work experience desired. Medical device experience preferred.
· Knowledge of lean, six sigma, kaizen, and continuous improvement initiatives. Green Belt preferred.
· Ability to Communicate ideas and information clearly, effectively, and frequently (oral and written)
· Execute tasks in a timely manner without direct supervision. Able to prioritize tasks.
· Able to prioritize tasks.
· Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite. Working knowledge of SAP desired.
Abiomed is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce. Abiomed will not discriminate against any worker or job applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy, gender reassignment, non-job related mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, military service, application for military service, or membership in any other category protected under law. Abiomed maintains a drug-free workplace.