Abiomed, part of Johnson & Johnson's MedTech, is recruiting for a Manager Product Development ECP located in Danvers, MA.
Abiomed, part of Johnson & Johnson MedTech, is a leading provider of medical devices that provide circulatory and respiratory support, with a mission of recovering hearts & saving lives. Abiomed's "Patients First!" culture drives our skilled workforce and strong relationships with clinicians. Our innovative product portfolio and robust pipeline provide us the incredible opportunity to bring lifesaving technology to more patients around the world than ever before. Founded in 1981, Abiomed has a proven track record for growth, integrity and innovation.
We are looking for an extraordinary, highly motivated leader to join our growing global Engineering team. As a manager in product development you will lead a team of direct reports to develop Abiomed’s next generation of heart pumps. You will work in a dynamic fast paced environment that is disrupting the medical device industry by bringing breakthrough technologies to market. This role focuses on the development, design and improvement of the Impella ECP™ or “Expandable Cardiac Power”. The Impella ECP™ is Abiomed’s smallest heart pump that does not compromise on flow by utilizing unique expanding pump technology.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities may include :
- Lead product development programs from inception to implementation
- Direct supervisor of technical staff including engineers and technicians from multiple disciplines
- Organize the team around standardized best practices for project management, including schedule development, resource and budget estimates, requirements generation, cost/benefit analyses, design and development milestones, priority and task management, and meeting facilitation.
- Hire and retain top talent to keep pace with platform growth. Sets business metrics for the team and provides performance feedback to employees.
- Represent the platform as a technical spokesperson to management and the cross functional team
- Engage with external and internal manufacturing partners to develop manufacturable designs and processes.
- Lead design reviews to ensure producibility, inspectability, testability, maintainability and repairability of updated product processes and design changes
- Partner and collaborate cross-functionally (product management, operations, quality, manufacturing, and regulatory) to launch new features, technology, and products into the market
- Assess technical performance of newly launched features, technology, and products in the field to identify, investigate, communicate, and execute on opportunities
- Identify requirements through physician interactions
- Plans, schedules, conducts, and manages various engineering projects, ensuring all projects adhere to acceptable engineering practices and compliance regulations and are appropriately staffed
- Develops standard operating procedures.
- Provide engineering expertise and maintains a high level of competency and business development acumen.
- BS in Engineering required; preferably in Mechanical or Biomedical
- 6-8+ years’ experience in production development required
- 3+ years management experience preferred
- Personnel focused leader with passion for developing junior staff
- Strong meeting facilitator and effective presenter to all audiences
- Expert in medical device design controls required
- Expert project manager (planning, scheduling, coordinating, budgeting) preferred
- Experience in root cause investigation and coordinating, assigning, aligning timely effective mitigations preferred
- Knowledge of Solidworks, ANSYS Mechanical, MathCad, MiniTab & Matlab Engineering CAD preferred
- Possesses excellent communication, motivation, team building, employee involvement, diplomacy, delegating skills as well as confidence and enthusiasm.
- May require up to 30%-40% travel – US & EU
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.