Janssen Research & Development, L.L.C., a division of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies is recruiting for a Principal Scientist, Multispecific Antibody and Chimeric Antigen Receptor Engineering located in Spring House, PA.
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, we are working to create a world without disease. Changing lives by finding new ways to prevent, intercept, treat and cure disease encourages us. We bring together the best minds and pursue the most promising science! We are Janssen! We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it. Learn more at www.janssen.com and follow us @JanssenGlobal Janssen Research & Development, LLC is part of the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies.
The Protein Engineering and In Vitro Discovery Team within Biologics Discovery is responsible for the design of lead biologic candidates. In this position, the Principal Scientist will be an integral member of the technology savvy Multispecific Antibody and CAR Design Group that delivers “Therapeutic Design Fit-for-Purpose” into the pipeline. The position offers an exciting opportunity to not only engage in the discovery and molecular engineering of biotherapeutics but also develop new processes and technologies for therapeutic discovery. The Protein Scientist will have the opportunity to lead project teams to interact seamlessly with world-class Therapeutic Area scientists.
- Interface with bioinformatics and structural biology teams to advance antibody and biologics platform designs
- Leads / participates on project teams to advance discovery portfolio projects
- Serve as subject matter expert for bio-informatic and structure based protein designs
- Champions technology development efforts aimed at fulfilling strategic long-term antibody design initiatives and validation
- Independently presents/defends scientific findings in multi-functional project teams/initiatives
- Independently designs, analyzes and interprets experimental results and drafts patent applications, manuscripts, protocols, SOPs, technical reports, etc.
- Ph.D. in structural biology, biochemistry, biophysics or a related field is required; at least 7 years of experience is highly preferred
- Expertise in protein structure modeling and analysis (e.g. Schrodinger, MOE, pyMol, etc.)
- Understanding of antibody, cytokine, or chimeric antigen receptor (CAR) structure and function, including modulation of target binding and Fc-based effector function
- Zeal for stepping out of the box and a collaborative spirit with demonstration of successful implementation of new ideas with calculated risk taking. Abilities to lead by influence and communicate across teams with diverse backgrounds
- Demonstration of clear, concise, and timely communication skills, exemplified by peer-reviewed publication
- In-depth knowledge of protein structure and analysis, including structure determination methods (e.g. x-ray crystallography, cryo-electron microscopy, NMR, or computational methods) and structure-based protein design
- Sound understanding of biophysical and biochemical methods for protein analysis, including ELISA, SPR, and / or flow cytometry, thermal stability analysis, and protein expression / purification from mammalian and bacterial cells
- Experience in bioinformatics and scientific computing (e.g. Rosetta, MATLAB, Python, etc.)
- In-depth understanding of antibody sequence analysis, including post-translational modification risks, germline analysis, and Fc-mediated effector function
- A minimum of 5 years of industry experience
- Hands-on experience in HTP-based binding assays (such as ELISA, SPR, MSD) and/or cell-based (Intellicyt/iQue) for screening antibody variants i
- In-depth knowledge of molecular biology, including expression vector design, protein expression from mammalian host cells and purification (affinity chromatography, ion-exchange chromatography, etc)
- Proficiency in written and spoken English required
- Some travel may be required
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.