Janssen Research & Development is recruiting for a Senior Principal Scientist, Biophysics located in Spring House, PA.
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, we are working to create a world without disease. Transforming lives by finding new and better ways to prevent, intercept, treat and cure disease inspires us. We bring together the best minds and pursue the most promising science. We are Janssen. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it. Learn more at www.janssen.com and follow us @JanssenGlobal. Janssen Research & Development, LLC is part of the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies.
The Biophysics Group within Biologics Discovery uses innovative biophysical, biochemical, and mass spectrometry based analytical tools, from initial hit screening through clinical candidate selection, to help select the most promising therapeutic candidates for clinical development. The Senior Principal Scientist and Group Leader, Biophysics, will serve as the department’s subject matter expert on characterizing developability attributes like thermal stability, chemical stability, solubility, and aggregation, and will direct an expert team of scientists to characterize these attributes on a broad range of biologics platforms like for monoclonal antibodies, multi-specific antibodies, antibody drug conjugates, antibody radio conjugates, and other therapeutic proteins. The Sr. Principal Scientist will be empowered to continuously improve the biophysical characterization workflow by incorporating new lab automation, data science, modeling capabilities, and other innovative tools.
- Drive the overall scientific strategy for applying innovative biophysical characterization techniques towards the selection of biologics at Janssen. Establish a robust operational process for using these techniques on a broad portfolio of therapeutic programs and platforms.
- Provide leadership, direction, and day-to-day management to a team of scientists characterizing the biophysical profile of lead molecules.
- Create an environment that encourages scientific innovation and continuous improvement.
- Collaborate with peers in Biophysics, Lead Engineering, and Protein Sciences groups to provide a comprehensive analysis of molecular properties. Transfer molecular information and findings from Discovery to Development groups.
- Recruit, train, mentor, and evaluate ~6-8 members of the biophysics team with respect to both scientific and career development activities.
Required Experience and Skills:
• PhD in Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biophysics, or related field with a minimum of 6 years relevant pharmaceutical industry experience.
• Experience using numerous biophysical analytical techniques like chromatography, DSC, DSF, AUC, cIEF, DLS, SLS, or forced degradation studies to characterize biologics.
• Understanding of protein/antibody structure function relationships.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills. Ability to clearly articulate scientific concepts and results across research functions is required.
• Strong track record of scientific contributions including peer reviewed first-author publications, patent applications, and presentations at major national meetings.
• Experience directly leading scientific staff.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
• Knowledge of techniques to create and analyze large data sets for predictive modeling and in silico tools for molecule selection.
• Ability to lead therapeutic discovery programs.
• Experience building or working with modern lab automation and high-throughput analysis.
At Johnson & Johnson, we’re on a mission to change the trajectory of health for humanity. That starts by creating the world’s healthiest workforce. Through cutting-edge programs and policies, we empower the physical, mental, emotional and financial health of our employees and the ones they love. As such, candidates offered employment must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or secure an approved accommodation prior to the commencement of employment to support the well-being of our employees, their families and the communities in which we live and work.
For more information on how we support the whole health of our employees throughout their wellness, career and life journey, please visit www.careers.jnj.com.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.