Position: Senior Automation Engineer
Reporting to: Automation Team Lead
Johnson & Johnson
At Johnson & Johnson, we believe good health is the foundation of vibrant lives, thriving communities and forward progress. That’s why for more than 130 years, we have aimed to keep people well at every age and every stage of life. Today, as the world’s largest and most broadly based healthcare company, we are committed to using our reach and size for good. We strive to improve access and affordability, create healthier communities, and put a healthy mind, body and environment within reach of everyone, everywhere.
Every day, our more than 130,000 employees across the world are blending heart, science and ingenuity to profoundly change the trajectory of health for humanity.
Operating in Ireland since 1935, J&J is one of Ireland’s leading employers with a workforce of more than 5,000 highly skilled and motivated people across 10 locations, spanning 5 counties.
Johnson & Johnson Vision Care Limerick
Our goal at Johnson & Johnson Vision is to bring improved eyesight to people around the world through the research, development, and manufacturing of new medical technologies.
The Johnson & Johnson Vision Care site in Limerick was established in 1996 and is one of the largest and most automated contact lens manufacturing operations in the world. With a workforce of over 1600, the site plays a fundamental role in supporting the Johnson & Johnson mission, to change the trajectory of health around the world. Strategic products in Johnson & Johnson Vision Care’s product portfolio are manufactured in Limerick, including ACUVUE®, the world’s brand leader in contact lenses. Our team serve customers and patients in markets outside the US with our current portfolio of products and are also working to deliver new breakthroughs in contact lens technology for the future including implantable interocular products and drug combined products. The site is highly automated utilizing state of the art injection moulding, robotics, vision systems, digitalization and sterilization technologies.
Our Vision Care site in Limerick is committed to environmentally sustainable operations, has earned ISO 14001 and ISO 50001 certifications and has driven consistent reductions in product resource intensity. The site uses 100% sustainable energy with part of the facility’s demand being met by an on-site turbine. At Johnson & Johnson Vision Care Ireland there is a commitment to providing a positive work environment which respects diversity, supports wellbeing, and embraces innovation.
The Vision Care site in Limerick is located in the National Technology Park, in close proximity to the University of Limerick and just 2km from the M7 motorway. The state-of-the-art site boasts multiple full-service cafeterias, a modern gym and beautifully landscaped grounds, as well as a highly active network of Employee Resource Groups, interest groups and societies.
The company has a strong focus on career progression through continuous education. From certificate to doctorate level programs, Johnson & Johnson Vision Care Ireland has supported 300+ employees in developing skills in new technologies since 2016, including the Engineers Ireland accredited CPD process for their engineering team. To strengthen the early-career talent pipeline, Johnson & Johnson Vision Care Ireland leads an industry-wide apprenticeship and graduate program, locally sponsoring 30+ trainees per year. The Limerick site has a strong working partnership with its sister Vision Care site in Jacksonville, Florida and with the nine other Johnson & Johnson locations in Ireland.
Our Senior Automation Engineers develop, test, and install control system software changes with supporting documentation for validated manufacturing systems. Along with providing support to operations for automation related issues on the production lines.
The Role and Primary Tasks:
• Develop machine control software involving servo pneumatic and data control.
• Participate among multi-functional teams to ensure projects are delivered on time and to required quality standards.
• Develop, debug and validate Control System software programs
• Analyse, understand, fault-find and modify automation software
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
• Ability to organize, plan and implement multiple tasks to tight schedules, to ensure work on time and within budget.
• Highly motivated self-starter
• Ability to detail own work clearly and accurately
• Strong communication skills and provide technical expertise.
• Monitor and analyse opportunities for the development of new or improved tools for process improvement activities.
• Attention to detail
• Provide training and mentoring to less experience staff.
Key Position Responsibilities:
• Develop a strong understanding of the business, strategic direction, overall organizational goals and individual user needs.
• Development of machine design control systems including servo motion and high-speed device integration.
• Develop, test and install PLC and control software as part of a highly automated, high volume 24/7 validated production environment
• Develop User, Functional and Detailed Design Specifications
• Develop high quality PLC and HMI code from Functional and Detailed Design Specifications
• Work within a cross functional multidiscipline team environment.
• Participates within project teams, provide technical support and make informed decisions on hardware and architecture selection.
• Lead Automation team as part of a project, to deliver robust technical solutions as per project timelines.
• Provide ideas and solutions for the improvement and development of control systems.
• Fault-find complex automation equipment
• Maintain comprehensive documentation of code to Medical Device standards
• Adopt and promote a strong cultural Credo based code of conduct at Johnson & Johnson.
• Ensure effective closure on Quality System documentation and NC/CAPA actions
• Prioritize multiple tasks while working to tight schedules
Skills, Abilities and Education Requirements:
• Bachelors in Automation Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or related field preferred.
• 5 to 6 years’ experience working with automated control systems as part of a machine design team.
• Strong PLC background in Allen Bradley ControlLogix 5000, Allen Bradley Guard Logix, APT, Siemens S7, Elau, Pilz Safety PLCs and Wonderware Intouch/ArchestrA, FactoryTalk View HMI software.
• Additional knowledge of Servo Motion Control, printer systems, vision systems, robotics, BCR, data analytics and RFID systems would be beneficial
• Accustomed to working in a validated environment with strong discipline with regard to change control.
• Good organizational, planning and prioritisation skills; good oral and written communication skills.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.