DePuy Synthes is recruiting for a Staff Engineer, Product Management/ New Product Development for Trauma, Extremities, CMF (craniomaxillofacial), and Animal Health to be located in West Chester, PA.
DePuy Synthes, part of the Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies, provides one of the most comprehensive orthopedics portfolios in the world. DePuy Synthes solutions, in specialties including joint reconstruction, trauma, craniomaxillofacial, spinal surgery and sports medicine, are designed to advance patient care while delivering clinical and economic value to health care systems worldwide. For more information, visit www.depuysynthes.com.\
This position is part of the DePuy Synthes Supply Chain Product Management (SCPM) group. You will use engineering knowledge of Product Management operations to function as an integral member of a NPI team developing, designing, validating & starting up world-class Product Management & assembly operations that ensure product quality, cost & performance objectives while concurrently providing design, quality, marketing & financial inputs. The successful candidate will be working within a cross-functional project team through all phases of the product development process, planning and executing projects through the product launch. The role will work closely with members of the project core team (R&D, Quality Engineering, Marketing, Finance, Sourcing, Plan, External Manufacturers etc.,) to define user needs, generate design concepts and prototypes, perform design evaluations (such as tolerance analysis, FEA, DOE's, simulated use testing, etc.), and support development of product and process validation plans and testing. You will also be involved in test method development and evaluation of the proposed design.
The Staff Product Management Engineer will work with cross functional teams and suppliers to optimize designs for manufacturability and produce prototypes. You will demonstrate an understanding in the application of design controls and development processes. You should have the ability to prioritize tasks and manage a varied workload, exhibit strong written and verbal communication skills and interface effectively with others in the project team.
You will also be expected to develop an expert knowledge of our product lines and detailed knowledge of various TECA (Trauma, Extremities, CMF, and Animal Health) products.
- Collaborating with R&D, Quality engineers and External Manufacturers in developing new product designs within a cross-functional team environment; specifically, to develop innovative Product Management solutions for soft tissue and shoulder reconstruction implantable devices.
- Establishing the relationship between product design features and the selected methods required to manufacture the product.
- Providing detailed assessments and critical Design for Product Management review of engineering designs/drawings of components and assemblies. He/she will participate in design reviews to assess the design intent, manufacturability, proper dimensioning and tolerancing of components and assemblies to allow product to transition into the Product Management environment.
- Leading the Product Management of prototypes used in new product development, including selecting the most appropriate prototype methods and executing prototype development to support new product design trials.
- Completing financial estimates of components and assembly Cost of Goods Sold.
- Providing analysis and recommendations for feature and Product Management cost tradeoffs, during the design phase of new products. He/she will develop comprehensive, cost effective Product Management strategies, including supplier selection, to drive product team decisions on sourcing to achieve cost and time targets.
- Providing technical support to external manufacturers in process development, characterization, validation and stabilization.
- Supporting ERP and Quality System assessments and deliverables (Functional Impact Assessments, Routers, Drawing Reviews, Product Quality Plan, process related NPI Non-conformances)
- Mentoring entry level engineers and will oversee suppliers to optimize designs for manufacturability and assembly to produce functioning prototypes and supporting production documentation.
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline is required.
- Minimum 8 years of engineering experience with a BS, or 6 years with MS in engineering is required.
- Minimum 5 years experience in a Supply Chain environment and with new product development is required (i.e for process development, cycle time, yield and cost improvements).
- Experience working in highly regulated industry is required: working in medical device is preferred.
- Knowledge in the application of Design for Product Management (DFM), including industry best practices and experience in applying DFM to new product designs is preferred.
- Experience in Product Management Cost analysis is preferred.
- The ability to develop and utilize 3D CAD models, FMEA’s, GD&T, tolerance analysis, FEA, DOE’s, simulated use testing, and statistical analysis is preferred.
- Experience working with an integrated cross-functional new product development team is preferred.
- A broad knowledge of medical device Supply Chain processes and applications (broad understanding of available Supply Chain technologies, assembly and inspection techniques and automation is preferred).
- Proficient knowledge of Process Excellence / Six Sigma statistical analysis techniques and its application in Product Management processes is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to manage design and Product Management-related activities within the requirements of 13485 Design Control requirements is required.
- Strong technical communication and negotiation skills and demonstrated ability to work independently with external suppliers is required.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
United States-Pennsylvania-West Chester-
Medical Device Business Services, Inc (6029)