Johnson & Johnson Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Director of R&D Programs & Services
Requisition ID: 9729180423
Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies is recruiting for Director of CSS R&D Programs & Services be located in Irvine, CA to support our Medical Devices business.
Johnson & Johnson Medical Device Companies produce a broad range of innovative products and solutions used primarily by health care professionals in the fields of Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices contains key surgical platforms such as Wound Closure, Orthopedics, Open and Minimally Invasive Stapling, Energy, Biosurgery, Aesthetics, ENT, and Cardiovascular surgical products. As the most comprehensive devices business in the world, Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices is best suited to serve evolving customer needs, train more surgeons to improve standards of care, and treat more patients globally as access expands. Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices is currently $20 billion in World Wide sales. The business is expected to experience solid growth over the next 5 to 7 years.
The Director of CSS R&D Programs & Services is accountable for driving NPD effectiveness and efficiency in R&D operations of CSS business units. The Director will lead the program support staff in the key areas of NPD stage gate governance, design control harmonization, project management practices, R&D systems and fostering a culture of innovation. The Director will be part of the CSS R&D Leadership team with primary goals of DRI for R&D project reporting, driving precision around setting launch dates, continuous improvement of the overall project management capability of the organization, design control harmonization, portfolio strategy and planning process, shaping R&D solutions including new training and tools.
This role will facilitate project portfolio management by providing decision support and meeting facilitation of senior management forums responsible for project prioritization, gate decisions, and product development portfolio optimization. Responsibility will include implementing and maintaining overall project management standards and tools including advanced project risk management solutions. The Director will foster Design to Value principles leading an annual fall summit to showcase NPD effectiveness and successful design execution. The Director will foster a learning organization leading lesson’s learned forum to identify high impact opportunity areas of improvement. The Director will also provide coaching and support to senior executives and sponsors regarding their role in ensuring project success. This role also provides leadership in execution of the annual CSS Innovation Summit to engage and inspire the organization to broaden the innovation opportunity and celebrate and recognize prolific innovators within CSS.
- Ability to align a diverse group of stakeholders to achieve a vision.
- Ensure compliance of design control with emerging standards
- Change agent to drive change regarding enhancing practices such as Design to Value principles
- Support transition to new Product Lifecycle Management Systems
- Maintain CSS R&D reporting for Med Device Leadership Team scorecards
- Communicate actions required to improve on time launch profile
- Maintain CSS RDLT quarterly dashboards to measure CSS R&D business unit annual goal attainment
- Improves project execution, coaching project managers on enhanced project management framework for program success (Scorecards, risk register, Risk adjusted Scheduling approach)
- Ability to master complexity and drive simplicity in the working practices of R&D to ensure lean execution.
- Lead the execution of annual Innovation Summit & DTV summit
- Works with the Project Sponsors and Project Managers to drive timely decisions and resolution of issues with Stage Gate Governance Action Register.
- Maintains a timely and accurate “system” for communicating project status to executive team, functional managers and other key stakeholders, highlighting key contributions needed to “stay on track”.
- Implements “minimum practices and standards” for requirements identification, change control, issue escalation, schedule management, risk management, reporting, and other critical PM processes.
- Works with the Stage Gate governance teams to ensure appropriate allocation of resources to projects and to resolve competing project needs
- Facilitates project prioritization and selection, and on-going gate reviews, ensuring that the right portfolio balance is achieved and aligned appropriately with strategic goals
- Establishes a Lessons Learned process and a historical database to support continuous improvement on planning and estimating project schedules and resources, identifying risks, etc.
- Develop and implement business processes and tools across the CSS R&D units to improve productivity, cost, and quality metrics
- Patient focused solutions and Credo driven behavior
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in a Science or Engineering discipline (electrical, mechanical, systems or related discipline) and a minimum of ten (10) years of relevant experience is required.
- A minimum of 10+ years of experience in Engineering, Program / Project Management or related experience is required.
- Familiarity with portfolio management at a franchise / business unit level is required.
- Demonstrated success in the management of large, global, complex, highly interrelated programs / projects is required.
- Business and Financial Acumen is required.
- Demonstrated analytical skills including understanding of financial principles and how to leverage this knowledge to make sound business decisions and/or recommendations is required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to act as a change agent and adapt to changing business and organizational dynamics is required.
- Excellent communication (verbal & written) and facilitation skills are required.
- Leadership experience with collaborating, networking and influencing in a matrix organization is required.
- Must have the ability to interact with all levels of management and lead discussions without line authority to create alignment of senior cross-functional stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and deliver results is necessary.
- This position will be located in Irvine, CA and may require up to 10% domestic and/or international travel.
- Medical device industry experience preferred.
- Advanced degree (MS or Ph.D.) preferred.
- PMP Certification, Six Sigma Black Belt preferred
Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies are equal opportunity employers, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Biosense Webster Inc. (6010)