Johnson & Johnson Careers
Sr. Director, Business Unit Communications, Immunology & Canada
Requisition ID: 9716190715
Reporting to the Regional Pharmaceuticals Communication & Public Affairs Leader, the Americas, the Business Unit Communication Leader (BUCL) is responsible for the strategic planning, development and implementation of integrated internal and external communication and public affairs strategies to support the business objectives of the largest business within Johnson & Johnson, U.S. Immunology, and one of the largest global Janssen businesses, Janssen Canada.
The senior director provides counsel to the President of U.S. Immunology, functioning as the President’s thought partner, and, as a member of the U.S. Immunology Leadership Team, is responsible for helping to lead the business unit to meet its strategic business objectives and enhance Janssen’s reputation as a patient-focused transformational medical innovator. This role includes ongoing, proactive and thoughtful assessment of the business’ communication and public affairs needs, creative application of industry / therapeutic area knowledge and trends, and cross-functional partnering to develop meaningful communication and public affairs strategies. Partnering with the Immunology Therapeutic Area Communication Leader, the BUCL oversees the external product communication needs of the U.S. Immunology business, including professional and direct-to-patient communication efforts, media relations including social media, and issues management, and ensures that communication efforts enhance our Janssen reputation and align with our global strategy for innovation and growth. Partnering with our Public Affairs leader, the Strategic Customer Group, and Government Affairs & Policy, the BUCL drives the debate through significant public affairs efforts in support of patient health. This individual also will be responsible for strategic organizational communication designed to align employees, including the field, with U.S. Immunology and Janssen positioning/strategies and to enhance employee engagement.
The Business Unit Communication Leader also supervises the Communication & Public Affairs team in Canada, one of the largest global Janssen businesses. The BUCL works closely with the Leader, Janssen Canada Communication & Public Affairs, and the President, Janssen Canada, to ensure the team is delivering maximum value across the Janssen Canada portfolio; enhance Janssen’s reputation in Canada as a patient-focused transformational medical innovator; align and engage Janssen Canada employees; and drive the debate on key policy topics.
The BUCL leads, guides and inspires a team of four in the U.S. and the leader of Janssen Canada Communication & Public Affairs, who has a team of three in Toronto.
The BUCL serves on the Janssen North America Communication & Public Affairs Leadership Team, collaborating across our businesses to enhance Janssen’s reputation as a transformational medical innovator committed to making a difference for patients.
- Responsible for integrated communications to support the business objectives of U.S. Immunology and Janssen Canada, including:
- External Communication (40%) -- Responsible for leading, developing and executing communication programs to advance the business objectives of U.S. Immunology and enhance Janssen reputation through effective and strategic product and unbranded communication, media relations, issues management and ongoing field communication. Role requires significant, ongoing liaison with the Therapeutic Area Communication Leaders, J&J Corporate Communication, Investor Relations and key members of business leadership.
- Drive the Debate (30%) -- Working collaboratively with internal partners, develop and oversee integrated strategies that can positively influence the external environment to foster a climate that supports innovation, advances patient care and protects our reputation and business.
- Organizational Communication (15%) -- Responsible for leading, developing and executing internal communication efforts to engage employees and ensure alignment with business goals and objectives, Janssen NA and global strategy, and our Janssen and J&J positioning. Includes oversight of materials development for town hall forums, internal portals, electronic newsletters and other channels of communication, as appropriate
- Strategic Business Counsel (15%) -- Act as strategic business partner and provide ongoing senior-level communication advice and counsel to the U.S. Immunology President and Leadership Team and to the President, Janssen Canada. Includes shaping and development of materials for internal and external speaking opportunities.
- 12 years of experience in managing public relations/public affairs in a company, NGO, government agency or public relations agency required.
- Direct health care product/pharmaceutical product experience, and direct experience in one or more of the therapeutic areas
- Public affairs experience particularly in health care.
- Proven business leader
- Excellent working knowledge of news and social media
- Previous supervisory experience and strong partnering skills with business leaders
- Previous experience in working with and managing consultants
- Bachelor's degree in liberal arts, business or related discipline; Master’s degree preferred
Janssen Global Services, LLC (6085)