Johnson & Johnson Careers
Scientist, Lead Discovery - San Diego, CA
Requisition ID: 9688190315
Janssen Research & Development, L.L.C., a division of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies is recruiting for a Scientist, Lead Discovery, for our site in San Diego, CA.
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, what matters most is helping people live full and healthy lives. We focus on treating, curing and preventing some of the most devastating and complex diseases of our time. And we pursue the most promising science, wherever it might be found.
Janssen Research & Development, LLC discovers and develops innovative medical solutions to address important unmet medical needs in oncology, immunology, neuroscience, infectious diseases and vaccines, and cardiovascular and metabolic diseases. Please visit http://www.janssenrnd.com/ for more information.
We are Janssen. Our mission drives us. Our patients inspire us. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it.
Thriving on a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees and committed to inclusion. Proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
The Screening department within Lead Discovery is responsible for the delivery of small-molecule qualified hits for the initiation of hit-to-lead programs and subsequent SAR studies of medicinal chemistry compounds up to new medical entity (NME). We collaborate closely with Janssen Therapeutic Areas and functional teams, the Innovation Centers, and external collaborators in academia and industry. Our mandate is to be a best-in-class lead discovery group. We seek individuals with a strong ability to connect key partners for the delivery of goals and objectives, fostering an environment of collaboration, collegiality and positive communication, and who show superior performance in the context of a multidisciplinary, geographically disperse team.
Roles and Responsibilities
- You will champion both target based and phenotypic drug discovery efforts: this includes conceiving, designing, optimizing, implementing and interpret robust disease-relevant assays to drive screening and medicinal chemistry activities. Your experience in designing and implementing target deconvolution and mechanism of action studies will be invaluable.
- You will foster the collegiate team environment by providing scientific leadership and mentorship to the Compound Profiling team that executes weekly medicinal chemistry SAR studies.
- The ideal candidate will have a strong sense of urgency, be organized and adhere to sensitive timelines.
- Collaborate across multiple therapeutic and functional areas in the US, Europe and Asia.
- You will attend in-house seminars and external scientific meetings, and Publish research in high-quality journals as appropriate.
- PhD in cellular biology, biochemistry, pharmacology, chemical biology or related areas is required.
- At least 3 years of drug discovery experience (academic or industry) is required. Experience to include both target based and phenotypic approaches is preferred.
- Strong in vitro assay expertise is required. Examples include; experience in designing and executing biologically complex and disease-relevant assays, and utilizing of automation, complex data sets and various plate-based assay detection methodologies such as fluorescence polarization, homogeneous time resolved fluorescence, luminescence, fluorescence imaging plate reader (FLIPR), flow cytometry and high content imaging.
- Experience collaborating with system biologists or computation scientists to perform data analysis and mining is preferred.
- Previous people management experience (supervising, coaching, mentoring) is preferred.
- Publications in high-quality peer-reviewed journals are preferred.
- Expertise in immunology, neuroscience or oncology therapeutic areas is preferred.
- This position is located in San Diego, CA, and may require 10% travel.
Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies are equal opportunity employers, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
United States-California-San Diego-
Janssen Research & Development, LLC. (6084)