Johnson & Johnson Careers
SENIOR DEVELOPMENT ENGINEER, ASSEMBLY PROCESS (1 of 2)
Cincinnati, Ohio; Cincinnati, Ohio
R&D Engineering (R&D)
Requisition ID: 9552181220
Are you ready to further your engineering career and make a positive difference in the peoples' lives?
Ethicon Endo- Surgery, Inc., a member of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies, is currently recruiting for a Senior Development Engineer to lead Assembly Process development and qualification activities for surgical instruments in Cincinnati, Ohio.
The Ethicon business offers a broad range of products, platforms and technologies—including sutures, surgical staplers, clip appliers, trocars and synthetic mesh devices—that are used in a wide variety of minimally invasive and open surgical procedures. The Ethicon business combines products and services of two market-leading legacy companies, both with long histories of medical innovation. Ethicon, Inc. based in Somerville, New Jersey, was founded more than 80 years ago as a pioneer in suture development and manufacturing, helping to transform the safety and effectiveness of open surgery. Ethicon Endo-Surgery, Inc. was created 20 years ago in Cincinnati, Ohio, developing innovative devices that have driven the revolutionary shift from open to minimally invasive surgery that continues to lead the industry today.
Our team of engineers, designers, and technical experts are in the forefront of technology in the medical device industry. You will be making a vital contribution to the New Product Development (NPD) pipeline and transforming patient care through innovation. Our Development Engineering staff works with NPD teams and Suppliers to develop robust component designs and manufacturing processes that meet or exceed all product requirements at the lowest possible manufacturing cost. This is an opportunity for a key role in bringing exciting new products to market to support the Ethicon Endo-Surgery business while also providing the opportunity for significant professional growth.
The Senior Engineer:
• Leads assembly equipment development, process development and transfer activities within the Ethicon Energy franchise.
• Coordinates the delivery of equipment and qualified assembly processes with our external partners that meet established cost, quality, and performance requirements.
• Provides project planning, design support, process development knowledge, and qualification / validation / stabilization execution.
• Demonstrates significant experience with several of the following assembly process and manufacturing technologies: manual assembly, automated assembly, test development, automated vision inspection, laser welding, lean manufacturing, and line balancing.
• Utilizes prior work experience, Design for Manufacturing & Assembly (DFMA) techniques, Lean Six Sigma process knowledge, and risk analysis tools to drive the product design to its most efficient and manufacturable outcome.
• Identifies and implements assembly process development best practices.
• Mentors and guides less experienced development engineers.
• Bachelor’s degree with an Engineering focus
• A minimum of (4) years of work experience in manufacturing process development or operations
• Prior experience developing manual, semi-automated and automated assembly manufacturing processes
The following qualifications and experiences are highly preferred:
• New Product Development, Project Management, and Risk Management experience
• Ability to effectively collaborate with multiple internal and external partners
• Exposure to a medical device production environment or other regulated environment
• Understanding of Design for Manufacturing & Assembly (DFMA) and Failure Mode Effects Analysis (FMEA)
• Skilled with process design and development/ build of manufacturing or assembly equipment
• Experience with hardware/ software development in relation to manufacturing test systems
• Prior experience managing assembly equipment development with an external equipment fabricator/ supplier
• Integrating vision inspection systems and sensors
• Applying statistical analysis techniques (Process Stability / Control / Capability methods, etc.)
• Creating and executing Design of Experiments (DOE)
• Developing gauging techniques and subsequent Measurement Systems Analyses (GR&R)
• Experience with Process Excellence Six Sigma, Green Belt or Black Belt
• Knowledge of GD&T (ASME Y14.5)
• This position is located in Cincinnati, OH and may require up to 25% travel.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Ethicon Endo Surgery Inc (6041)
R&D Engineering (R&D)