Johnson & Johnson Careers
Director of Data Science
Requisition ID: 9464180814
Johnson & Johnson, through its operating companies, is the world's most comprehensive and broadly based manufacturer of healthcare products, as well as a provider of related services, for the consumer, pharmaceutical, and medical devices. We strive to provide scientifically sound, high quality products and services to help heal, cure disease and improve the quality of life.
C-SATS offers a personalized performance management platform developed by a team of surgeons, engineers and biostatisticians at the University of Washington. C-SATS is subscription-based and enables surgeons to upload surgical videos for assessment by expert surgeons and trained reviewers who provide objective and confidential feedback on technical skills.
C-SATS is the AI platform for surgery. Our systems and processes are on the verge of massive scale and we need sophisticated automatic predictive modeling commensurate with our need to measure and improve patient outcomes and surgeon technical skill. We are seeking a highly self-motivated expert in directing our artificial intelligence efforts, especially in the areas of machine learning, computer vision, NLP, and deep learning.
Why This Matters
You will be responsible for a critical part of C-SATS, and your work will have a direct impact on patient safety. C-SATS measures technical skills in healthcare practitioners, skills that directly impact clinical outcomes; poor performers generate 3x more complications and 5x more deaths than top performers. Our system generates 10x the amount of information about an individuals’ skills in 1/10th the time of traditional peer review. Major medical centers have completed 1.5 million assessments with C-SATS, and they depend on our system to ensure the quality of their practitioners and the safety of their patients.
• Lead and accelerate C-SATS data science efforts, prioritizing the most valuable and feasible efforts
• Facilitate an agile, transparent process for innovation with predictable output
• Demonstrate the necessary communication, skills, and experience to gather broad buy-in for data science strategies
• Manage and grow our team of data science experts -- initially 3 direct reports
• Maintain broad and deep exposure to state-of-the art research and development
• Support a public presence for C-SATS data science: speaking, writing, and generating assets for these same activities with and by the Senior Director of Engineering
• Encourage, assist, and mentor the data science team to reach their own personal development goals
• Foster an open and honest culture of creativity and collaboration with intelligent risk taking and respectful questioning
• Bring a rigorous statistical, data-driven mindset to all data science decisions
• Bring new ideas and innovations to C-SATS data science
• Operate within the C-SATS bubble of innovation, leveraging the power of support provided by key stakeholders at Johnson & Johnson