Johnson & Johnson Careers
Center for Device Innovation Internship Fellow (Multiple Openings)
Requisition ID: 9431190313
Center for Device Innovation at the Texas Medical Center (CDI @ TMC) is currently accepting applications for Innovation Fellows for the summer of 2019. Assignments can be in a variety of areas including generating new concepts and prototypes, demonstrating engineering feasibility of a project, building the business case for a project, and assessing external technologies and companies. This position will work directly with the Sr. Director of CDI @ TMC, as well as other technical and senior staff members. The internship may be either part-time of full-time for a period of 8-10 weeks, and based in Houston.
- Assist in the development of early-stage technologies to achieve de-risking breakthroughs
- Translate customer & marketing insights into design requirements and product specifications
- Brainstorm and ideate potential new concepts, designs, and technology solutions for systems or components
- Design, draft, and develop initial models and prototypes of concepts
- Perform product testing and analysis to understand design performance and capabilities
- Rapidly iterate new designs and prototypes to refine and optimize performance and demonstrate feasibility
- Review clinical literature and meaningful background information
- Assess the competitive landscape and differentiation of other technology approaches
- Learn new medical terminology, surgical procedures & instrumentation as needed
- Perform primary and secondary market research of a potential new medical device with key partners in the healthcare system
- Define the overall value proposition, including potential clinical applications / use cases and impact / benefits to patients, clinicians, and others
- Evaluate the overall market potential, including size, growth, trends, and appropriate patient segmentation
- Understand the pathway to commercialization, including clinical trials, regulatory approval and manufacturing
- Conduct due diligence on external startups and technologies to figure out market potential, technical feasibility, and strategic fit with portfolio
- You are enrolled in an accredited college/university pursuing a bachelor’s or graduate degree.
- You must be legally authorized to work in the United States and not require sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g. H1-B status) now or in the future.
- Candidates must have the ability to work independently as well as on a team, and demonstrated leadership is helpful.
- Candidates must be detail-oriented, highly organized, and able to manage multiple tasks.
- Candidates must also be able to work well within a high degree of ambiguity or uncertainty, and be flexible to adapt to changing conditions.
- Candidates need to have strong written and oral communication skills.
- Candidates need to be proficient with Microsoft Office, Word, Excel (including pivot tables and graphs), and Power Point. Additional technical competencies in Sharepoint and other information technology systems are highly desirable, as is experience with PubMed databases and other literature searching.
- Candidates with some background or experience in the medical device industry are strongly preferred.
- A minimum G.P.A. of 3.0 is strongly preferred.
- Participation in campus/community service activities is desired.
United States-Texas-Houston-2450 Holcombe Blvd Suite X
Ethicon Inc. (6045)