Johnson & Johnson Careers
Senior Patent Counsel, Healthcare Technology
South San Francisco, California
Requisition ID: 9389180810
The Johnson & Johnson Law Department is recruiting for an Senior Patent Counsel to be located in Northern California. This position will report to one of Johnson & Johnson’s Associate Patent Counsel and primarily provide support across Johnson & Johnson business sectors, in conjunction with Johnson & Johnson’s initiative in Health and Technology.
Caring for the world, one person at a time has inspired and united the people of Johnson & Johnson for over 125 years. We embrace research and science -- bringing innovative ideas, products and services to advance the health and well-being of people. Employees of the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies work with partners in health care to touch the lives of over a billion people every day, throughout the world.
With $76.5 billion in 2017 sales, Johnson & Johnson is the world's most comprehensive and broadly-based manufacturer of health care products, as well as a provider of related services, for the consumer, pharmaceutical, and medical devices markets. There are more than 265 Johnson & Johnson operating companies employing approximately 126,500 people and with products touching the lives of over a billion people every day, throughout the world. If you have the talent and desire to touch the world, Johnson & Johnson has the career opportunities to help make it happen.
Thriving on a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees and committed to inclusion. Proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
As a Senior Patent Counsel, you will:
• Provide a full range of patent support functions, including patent preparation and prosecution freedom-to-operate studies (e.g., infringement and validity analysis), and particularly, client counseling.
• Draft and negotiate license and research collaboration agreements – strong emphasis
• Provide due diligence support for business development activities – strong emphasis
• Support US and OUS litigation.
• Manage outside counsel.
• Make regular presentations and interact with the business about patents, other intellectual property, contracts, and due diligence matters.
• Provide training to business personnel on patents, intellectual property, and contractual matters.
• An undergraduate or advanced degree in Applied Mathematics, Computer Science or Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or Systems Engineering is required.
• A Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school and admission to practice before the USPTO and licensed to practice in at least one state are required.
• A minimum of six (6) years of law firm or corporate law department experience is required.
• Patent preparation and prosecution experience is preferred.
• Experience in the rendering of patentability and non-infringement opinions is required.
• Experience in due diligence activities, license/agreement drafting and negotiation is required.
• A demonstrated competency in the computer or electromechanical arts and combination technology systems (e.g., systems including software, chemistry, biologic or materials component) is required.
• Experience dealing with big data and data analytics is preferred.
• The ability to articulate and positively engage clients and internal partners is required.
• Capability to give well organized, thoughtful presentations to upper management is required.
• Travel up to 20% both domestically and internationally is required.
United States-California-South San Francisco
Johnson & Johnson (6067)