Johnson & Johnson Careers
Principal Scientist, Medicinal Chemistry - Discovery Chemistry
Requisition ID: 9382190313
Janssen Research and Development, LLC, a member of Johnson and Johnson's Family of Companies, is recruiting for a Principal Scientist, Medicinal Chemistry - Discovery Chemistry, located in Spring House, PA.
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, what matters most is helping people live full and healthy lives. We focus on treating, curing and preventing some of the most devastating and complex diseases of our time. And we pursue the most promising science, wherever it might be found.
Janssen Research & Development, LLC, discovers and develops innovative medical solutions to address important unmet medical needs in oncology, immunology, neuroscience, infectious diseases and vaccines, and cardiovascular and metabolic diseases. Please visit http://www.janssenrnd.com/ for more information.
We are Janssen. Our mission drives us. Our patients inspire us. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it.
Thriving on a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees and committed to inclusion. Proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
The Janssen Discovery, Product Development & Supply group is committed to the delivery of high quality drug candidates working with all six Therapeutic Area (TA) discovery teams. This mission requires deep scientific expertise in a number of disciplines including chemistry, cellular and molecular pharmacology, enzymology, and screening technologies coupled with an ability to work collaboratively with internal and external organizations. Building on a strong legacy of success, we are currently recruiting an outstanding individual to join our team as Principal Scientist, Medicinal Chemistry, Discovery Chemistry.
We are seeking an experienced, highly skilled, and motivated chemist with excellent organic synthesis and medicinal chemistry expertise to advance small molecule drug discovery programs toward the clinic. This position will require the candidate to possess and leverage deep knowledge and capabilities to deliver differentiated clinical candidates to the Janssen product development pipeline within our Disease and Pathway Area Stronghold (DAS and PAS) strategy. Using a mix of internal and external resources, the Principal Scientist will partner with key stakeholders in the Therapeutic Areas and other internal groups, represent medicinal chemistry, lead cross-functional project teams, and be co-responsible for building, managing, and delivering high quality clinical molecules.
Responsibilities of the Principal Scientist will include:
- As project leader, drive and direct medicinal chemistry functions for one or more drug discovery projects, working in concert with partners in molecular and cellular biology, pharmacology, computational chemistry, ADME, structural biology, chemical development, and other key functions
- Analyze screening data, perform literature reviews, design, propose, and execute medicinal chemistry plans, coordinate chemistry and biology data to support compound progression and patent strategies
- Supervise and direct synthetic chemistry activities internally and/or at contract research organizations (CROs)
- Participate in portfolio and stage-gate reviews, lead the preparation and presentation of dossiers for clinical candidate nomination and compound advancement
- Participate in shaping and implementing strategies that support medicinal chemistry growth objectives at Janssen
- Serve as a scientific expert in medicinal chemistry with both internal and external partners and provide recommendations regarding new targets and emerging external opportunities
- Ensure optimal interaction/communication and provide updates on project status to drug discovery leadership
- Maintain a significant level of productivity in the laboratory setting
- PhD in synthetic organic or medicinal chemistry is required
- Postdoctoral experience is preferred
- A minimum of 7 or more years’ experience in the biopharmaceutical industry with a proven track record of innovative projects and key contributions to clinical candidate selection, is required
- Experience as a project leader in the biopharmaceutical industry is preferred
- Broad experience and proven accomplishments in medicinal chemistry is required
- Experience in one or more therapeutic areas is preferred
- Demonstrated operational skills for managing discovery programs at the level of a senior chemist/team leader are required
- A proven track record of delivering clinical candidates is strongly preferred
- Expert knowledge of modern methods of synthetic and medicinal chemistry with ability to successfully and simultaneously conduct medicinal chemistry on multiple projects is required
- Solid understanding of cellular/molecular biology, biochemistry, disease pharmacology, mechanisms of drug metabolism and molecular toxicology, pharmaco-kinetic and pharmaco-dynamic sciences, and formulations for the in vivo evaluation of drug candidates is required
- Thorough understanding of DNA-encoded library technologies and protein target degradation strategies is preferred
- Knowledge of and/or experience with computational chemistry methods and biophysical techniques such as X-ray crystallography and macromolecular NMR is required
- Ability to integrate multiple R&D disciplines into a successful strategic project plan is required
- Strong problem-solving skills for developing creative, innovative solutions, and meeting project objectives are required
- Demonstrated influence, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills, including the ability to succeed within a matrix environment, are required
- Experience in managing project budgets, aligning actions with overall strategy, and supporting business cases for decision-making is preferred
- Strong track record of scientific contributions including peer reviewed first-author publications, patent applications, and presentations at major national meetings is required
- Record of maintaining a strong lab presence and commitment to invest up to 30% of time in the lab is required
- Up to 10% travel is required
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
United States-Pennsylvania-Spring House-
Janssen Research & Development, LLC. (6084)