Johnson & Johnson Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Manufacturing Engineering Team Leader
Requisition ID: 9344180418
DePuy Synthes is currently recruiting a Manufacturing Engineering Team Leader for their Elmira, NY (Horseheads, NY) facility.
DePuy Synthes is a Johnson & Johnson company that is one of the leaders in the medical device industry. Our implants and instruments are used by orthopaedic surgeons to treat patients with conditions resulting from traumatic injuries, degenerative diseases, deformities, and sports related injuries. Our environment is entrepreneurial, learning-driven, and is as challenging as it is rewarding.
DePuy Synthes Companies of Johnson & Johnson is the largest, most innovative and comprehensive orthopaedic and neurological business in the world. DePuy Synthes Companies will offer an unparalleled breadth and depth of products, services and programs in the areas of joint reconstruction, trauma, spine, sports medicine, neurological, craniomaxillofacial, power tools and biomaterials. Building on the legacy and strengths of two great companies, we are creating one organization that will be agile and better equipped in today's evolving health care environment. With a focus on activating insights to develop innovative, comprehensive solutions, we are inspired to advance patient care in greater ways than either company could accomplish on its own.
The Manufacturing Engineering Team Leader, responsible for secondary operations, will include:
- Leading an engineering team within budget and to plan, using best practice technologies, innovation, and people development. This role supervises engineering activities including duties associated with the secondary operations as e.g but not limited to cleaning, finishing and packaging (Special Process Engineering Function) supporting the following functional aspects on a site level:
- Supports the daily needs of the secondary operations area in terms of meeting the requirements for capacity, availability, quality standards and compliant documentation as part of the sustaining engineering function for cleaning, packaging, and finishing.
- Supports the strategic needs of the secondary operations area in terms of implementing new and improved processes and supporting new product introductions along with the necessary manufacturing equipment meeting the requirements for capacity, availability, quality standards and compliant documentation as part of the project engineering function for the above mentioned secondary operations processes.
Organization & Talent Development
- Supervises a team consisting of engineers and technicians in the areas of general manufacturing, finishing and packaging in support of the secondary operations of the site.
- Assists in the development and actively participates in the implementation of the Company’s strategic imperatives / objectives.
- Implements the strategic imperatives of the special process engineering function in coordination with the site level strategic imperatives and objectives.
- Allocates proper level of resources to facilitate attainment of project goals within established timelines and budgets and monitors smooth execution of plans and programs at lower levels and cross functionally.
- Assists in organizational development and improvement for the special process engineering function to be able to meet the ever-evolving needs of manufacturing.
- Is responsible for employee performance management and development. This includes but is not limited to identification of training needs, stretch assignments, and identification as well as definition of opportunities for development.
- Coordinates cross functional teams to drive business and organizational results in the area of responsibility.
- Creates and maintains an environment of innovative continuous improvement, focusing on quality, cost reduction, process development, and supply.
- Assists in setting business metrics for the team in line with site and company objectives and provides performance feedback to employees.
- Promotes effective research and identification of engineering and systems solutions (internet, magazines, visits of other facilities, exhibitions, etc.) along with further education to identify gaps in the team’s capabilities and to find new ideas and develop strategic skills needed to ensure readiness for future technological trends.
- Ensures all special process engineering associates adopt and live the behavioral standards.
- Ensures associates are rewarded and recognized for their work done on specific projects and providing guidance and coaching where necessary or appropriate.
Business Results & Performance
- Ensures the team’s compliance with all government and company regulations, policies, Standard Operating Procedures (SOP), and Work Instructions in support of quality, regulatory compliance, health, safety and environmental requirements.
- Ensures regular communication of business performance/issues to all relevant employees.
- Actively promotes Health & Safety within the special process engineering team, ensuring Health & Safety is a goal for all direct reports.
- Manages the expenses and capital investments to budget.
- Manages, develops and leads team members in a manner that will facilitate successful project execution, to achieve the desired results in order to fulfill and improve on the team’s performance objectives and relevant metrics.
Collaboration & Team Work
- Communicate on a regular basis with department and site level management regarding detailed status of all projects and activities.
- Works as a service provider for the whole site, maintains efficient communication, and ensures alignment to site and company level objectives and project prioritization.
- Provides leadership within the special process engineering team that will encourage efficient communication and team work.
- Ensures there is close collaboration between associates in Engineering, Product Development, Operations, Regulatory, Quality Assurance, Planning, Materials, etc. when introducing new technologies and systems and / or making product or process changes.
- Actively participates in or leads activities associated to the DePuy Synthes Engineering Cluster, MD&D Engineering Initiatives and CoEs, and Virtual Teams.
- Efficiently and constructively escalate people, process, and product related issues ensuring adherence to appropriate communication practices and inclusion of all relevant functions.
- Provides engineering advice for site level operations other engineering teams within the site and in other operating companies as needed.
SPECIFIC FUNCTIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Owns activities related to cleaning, finishing, and packaging strategy definition, solution identification, development, and introduction as a service center for the site.
- Assists in planning for as well as schedules and manages the special process engineering project and capital portfolio ensuring all initiatives adhere to good engineering and documentation practices, are appropriately staffed, are run within budget, and are aligned with prioritization and strategy on a site and cluster level.
- Assists in overall department strategy development outlining technological, organizational and cross-functional needs in alignment with site and cluster level strategic goals, technological guidelines, and organizational models.
- May own and lead cross-functional focus strategy development and related implementation activities (e.g. Packaging Strategy, Finishing Strategy, etc.).
- Plans and directs overall engineering activities and oversees technical execution of projects related to the special process engineering team in support of the secondary operations areas for existing processes and activities related to new product introductions.
- Assists with his teams in troubleshooting day-to-day problems, discrepancies, and investigations of non-conformances.
- Ensures adherence to the relevant safety requirements for equipment and processes and define, coordinate, and execute corrective actions involving the relevant internal and external resources.
- Assists in the development of capital investment plans for the business considering strategic needs, improvements and innovations, driving cost improvements while meeting capacity needs.
- Supports the development of SOP's, Work Instruction, and other control processes or practices as it pertains to the area of responsibility.
- Ensures adequate documentation, project management and capturing of lessons learned for projects within the team using standardized templates and/or appropriate software applications.
- Plans, conducts, and coordinates activities related to the development of new or improved processes and systems including researching current and emerging technologies, evaluating process cost, quality, and capability alternatives.
- Ensures utilization of appropriate engineering principles and standard strategies as e.g. Lean and 5S principles when implementing improvements of existing manufacturing processes.
- Ensures adequate and consistent development of user requirement specifications for new equipment and processes for new capital projects using standard templates following applicable HSE and legal requirements.
- Ensures consistent development and review of business cases and financial justification for all CIP and capital investment projects in adherence to internal, franchise, and J&J requirements.
- Ensures cycle times of the manufacturing processes are correctly determined as a basis for the development of process improvements and the implementation of improved technologies.
- Ensures adherence to GxP principles in the development of tooling, fixturing and machining solutions in order to provide cost effective solutions and a safe working environment.
- Ensures efficient utilization of human and other natural and technical resources when defining new technical solutions to offset generally increasing cost.
- Ensures adherence to applicable risk management practices when introducing new products and/or processes.
- Assists with and follows up on addressing internal and external audit findings making sure open action items are given appropriate priority and are addressed as needed.
- May act as a technical reference or lead special projects in individual areas of expertise as needed.
- Works and communicates with others in a team environment.
- Participates in and understands all compliance related activities pertaining to the job assignment.
- Follows all laws and policies as they apply to one's job and maintains the highest levels of professionalism, ethics and compliance at all times.
- Follows appropriate safety practices in order to prevent accidents to self or others.
- Works in conditions that may be hot, cold, wet and/or noisy along with exposure to fumes, oil, coolants and other manufacturing related chemicals.
- Demonstrates history of positive interpersonal skills showing courtesy, tact, and understanding in interactions with coworkers, even under stressful circumstances.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Science, or other technical field is required.
- A minimum of 6 years of overall working experience is required.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in a manufacturing engineering environment is required.
- Prior project management experience is required.
- Previous experience leading or managing others is required.
- Previous experience within the Healthcare/Medical Devices/or Highly Regulated Environment is required.
- Must be willing to support global projects including some international travel.
- This position is located in Elmira, NY (Horseheads, NY) and may require up to 15% domestic/international travel.
- Experience in a CNC based manufacturing environment is preferred.
- Proven history of continuous improvement & successful project completion is preferred.
- Experience with automation, advanced inspection or vision system based applications is preferred.
- CAPA, risk assessment, and process validation experience is preferred.
- Six Sigma Certification is preferred.
Be VITAL in your career. Be seen for the TALENT you bring to your work. Explore opportunities within the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies.
Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies are equal opportunity employers, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
United States-New York-Horseheads
DePuySynthes Products Inc (6149)