Johnson & Johnson Careers
R&D ENGINEERING CO-OP
Requisition ID: 9337180418
DePuy Synthes, a member of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies, is recruiting for a Product Development Co-op located in Westchester, PA to support the Trauma /CMF Research and Development (R&D) Team.
DePuy Synthes Companies of Johnson & Johnson is the largest, most innovative and comprehensive orthopaedic and neurological business in the world. DePuy Synthes Companies offer an unparalleled breadth and depth of products, services and programs in the areas of joint reconstruction, trauma, spine, sports medicine, neurological, craniomaxillofacial, power tools and biomaterials. Our implants and instruments are used by orthopaedic surgeons to treat patients with conditions resulting from traumatic injuries, degenerative diseases, deformities, and sports related injuries. Our environment is entrepreneurial, learning-driven, and is as challenging as it is rewarding.
Caring for the world, one person at a time; inspires and unites the people of Johnson & Johnson. For 127 years, we embrace research and science - bringing innovative ideas, products and services to advance the health and well-being of people. Our approximately 128,000 employees at more than 275 Johnson & Johnson operating companies work with partners in health care to touch the lives of over a billion people every day, throughout the world.
With $71.3 billion in 2013 sales, Johnson & Johnson is the world's most comprehensive and broadly-based manufacturer of health care products, as well as a provider of related services, for the consumer, pharmaceutical, and medical devices and diagnostics markets
The Depuy Synthes Trauma / CMF Research and Development (R&D) Team in West Chester is focused on the development of innovative medical devices, including implants and instruments, for skeletal repair and reconstruction of the head, appendages, and torso (excluding spine). The team coordinates with surgeons, manufacturing, regulatory affairs, sales consultants, product directors, and other functional departments to define and develop product requirements and concepts.
Co-op Expectations/Responsibilities/Project Details:
- Co-ops will be part of a team responsible for the design and development of complex mechanical medical devices within an FDA QSR and ISO 13485 design control environment.
- The co-op will be assigned to a group within the R&D team focused on a specific technology (e.g. large plates and screws, external fixation frames, etc.).
- They will participate in all aspects of the design control process including the identification of patient and regulatory needs, development and evaluation of design specifications, identifying and controlling of risks, and creation and documentation of design outputs.
- Assist in the development and execution of verification / validation plans which may include evaluation in a human cadaver.
- Assist in the development and execution of both formal and informal testing protocols including the design of testing fixtures and testing methodology. \
- Have the ability to learn and utilize Creo 3D CAD to produce models and drawings to company drafting standards.
- Support product development by regularly interfacing with members of R&D, Prototype Manufacturing, Mechanical Testing, and Design Quality.
- Design Work may be assigned based on candidate’s background and successful completion of tasks.
- Qualified candidates must be enrolled in an accredited college/institution pursuing a degree in Mechanical or Biomedical Engineering.
- Highly motivated and can work independently on one or multiple projects under general direction and can exhibit an attention to detail.
- Interest in medical device/orthopedic fields.
- “Hands-on” engineering student w/ability to think creatively.
- Establish and foster collaboration and partnership internally and externally.
- Has a good sense of priorities and manages time accordingly.
- Has strong communication skills (written and verbal), including experience presenting in front of multidisciplinary audiences, and attending team meeting face to face and by teleconference.
- Knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office software is required as well as intermediate to advanced software skills with Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint is required.
- Experience with 3-D modeling (Creo) preferred.
United States-Pennsylvania-West Chester-
Synthes USA Products, LLC (6317)