Johnson & Johnson Careers
New Venture Transactions Lead, Johnson & Johnson Innovation
Requisition ID: 9291180816
The J&J Innovation Centers, a part of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies, is currently recruiting for a New Venture Transactions Lead to be located in South San Francisco, CA. Johnson & Johnson (J&J) is the world's most comprehensive and broad-based manufacturer of health care products, as well as a provider of related services, for the pharmaceutical, consumer health, and medical device markets. The more than 260 Johnson & Johnson operating companies employ over 130,000 people worldwide.
The New Venture Transactions Lead will be an integral part of the New Ventures & Transactions team in the California Innovation Center (CA IC). The New Ventures & Transactions team is responsible for the identification and evaluation of innovations of potentially high interest to J&J’s operating companies based on J&J’s defined strategies, in strategic adjacencies, and in new areas. For opportunities that continue to be of high interest after due diligence, the New Ventures & Transactions team is responsible for working with teammates in the scientific, finance, legal (and, in some cases, venture capital) groups to identify the optimal partnership deal structure and then shepherding the deal through to deal closure. In some cases, the New Ventures & Transactions team also contributes to the management and optimization of partnerships after deal closure.
The New Venture Transactions Lead will focus on external innovation opportunities in pharmaceuticals (and, less frequently, on opportunities that span multiple sectors). The chosen candidate will work closely with scientific experts in the CA IC to source, screen, evaluate, and optimally capture opportunities of high strategic value. She or he will identify target opportunities and build business relationships with relevant emerging healthcare companies and with top academic institutions across Western North America. This individual will leverage her or his existing network of relationships with entrepreneurs, venture investors, and key scientific opinion leaders in California and across Western North America to generate a flow of innovative opportunities aligned with J&J business strategies.
The New Venture Transactions Lead work with IC and venture investor teammates, with teammates in J&J operating companies, and with key internal and external scientific and marketing experts, to coordinate due diligence reviews of collaboration, licensing, and investment opportunities. Working collaboratively with scientific, legal, and finance colleagues, she or he will recommend collaboration models, structure deals (including new company creation, where indicated), and lead deal negotiations. She or he will be responsible for tracking target innovation companies and opportunities using CRM software. She or he will assist in the onboarding and ongoing partnership management of collaborations to maximize the chances of collaborative success. She or he may be called upon to research and create points of view on potential new areas of ground-breaking healthcare innovation. And she or he must be able to serve as an ambassador for JJI, both internally and externally.
The New Ventures & Transactions Lead will also help to source, screen, and mentor companies with game-changing science for JLABS. JLABS is the world’s premier life science incubator, empowering and enabling innovators to deliver life-enhancing health and wellness solutions to people around the globe.
- An advanced degree is required, a PhD or MD is preferred.
- A minimum of eight years of work experience is required.
- Previous work experience in the field of biopharmaceuticals is required; this work experience can have been acquired through work directly in a biopharmaceutical company (whether large or small) or through work experience in venture investing, management consulting, or investment banking.
- Experience within business development deal sourcing and transactions, including familiarity with biopharma research collaboration and license negotiations is preferred.
- A general understanding of equity investing is preferred.
- Access to, or familiarity with, an existing network of life science innovators and venture investors in the Bay Area is preferred.
- Experience in an entrepreneurial company environment or culture is preferred.
- A demonstrated track record of high performance, academically and professionally is preferred.
- A demonstrated record of having played an integral role in the sourcing, negotiation, internal championship, and closure is preferred.
- The ability to communicate well, both in oral and written form is preferred.
- The ability to possess strong leadership, industriousness, flexibility, and a high capacity for teamwork is required.
- This position is located in South San Francisco, CA, and requires willingness to travel (including internationally) up to 30% of the time.
United States-California-South San Francisco
J&J Innovation LLC (6205)