Ethicon, a Johnson & Johnson Company, is recruiting for a Director 2, Business Development to be located in Somerville, NJ.
The Ethicon business offers a broad range of products, platforms and technologies—including sutures, surgical staplers, clip appliers, trocars and synthetic mesh devices—that are used in a wide variety of minimally invasive and open surgical procedures. Specialties include support for treatment of colorectal and thoracic conditions, women’s health conditions, hernias, cancer and obesity. The Ethicon business combines products and services of two market-leading legacy companies, both with long histories of medical innovation. Ethicon, Inc. based in Somerville, New Jersey, was founded more than 80 years ago as a pioneer in suture development and manufacturing, helping to transform the safety and effectiveness of open surgery. Ethicon Endo-Surgery, Inc. was created 20 years ago in Cincinnati, Ohio, developing innovative devices that have driven the revolutionary shift from open to minimally invasive surgery that continues to lead the industry today.
Thriving on a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees and committed to inclusion. Proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
The Director 2, Business Development will collaborate with the President of one of Ethicon’s platforms to develop and execute the right strategies to pursue new business opportunities and influence the direction of the business. He or She develops strategies that are clear and aligned to the overall Ethicon business. He or She will be a member of the Platform Leadership Team and contributing to the success of the Platform. He or She will have the capacity and flexibility to work on alternate Platform transactions on as needed basis or on strategy projects outside the scope of just one Platform.
- Identify technologies and capabilities gaps that can be addressed through external business arrangements.
- Partner with business leaders to implement strategies.
- Lead cross-functional teams and ensures teams are following the appropriate guidelines (for example, WW420C/MD&D, HCC, Quality, and Regulatory).
- Translate unmet customer and market needs to identify potential new business opportunities (for example, Licensing, mergers, acquisitions, partnerships, co-marketing, supply, or other structures).
- Contribute to the knowledge base by reviewing published literature, patents, technology trends, new business models, customer unmet needs and other external environmental factors.
- Build external relationships via trade shows, conferences, networking, and other new sources of information, intelligence, and insights.
- Determine screening criteria, value creation and rationale for targeting new opportunities.
- Identify and evaluate critical assumptions, risks, and opportunities.
- Provide recommendations to senior leadership on new strategies, opportunities, and tactics.
- Advice on priorities as well as non-value added projects.
- Lead, influence, or otherwise collaborate with functional partners to develop strategies and business cases for new opportunities that are aligned with the goals of the region and/or business.
- Determine variables for assessments and lead teams to pressure test ideas and assumptions (for example, clinical pathways, scientific capabilities, commercial potential, IP status, and others) and vet every aspect of models, forecasts, and other projections.
- Leads and participates in due diligence teams and facilitates a balanced view for reports and presentations to leadership.
- Delivers oral and written presentations to management to obtain approval for execution and funding of new opportunities.
- Seek to provide (or direct teams to provide) information and recommendations in a transparent and balanced manner.
- Negotiate, structure, and close deals.
- Work with J&J Legal, Finance, and other functional groups to assess, review, and execute opportunities.
- Build, support, and lead assessment, diligence, and integration teams execute deals and works with leaders to develop and execute strategies to identify, assess, prioritize, and execute new business opportunities.
- BS/BA degree with at about 15 years of business experience or MBA/other advanced degree with at least 7 years business experience required.
- Business development, consulting or banking experience is preferred.
- Experience in developing business cases for opportunities required.
- Strong business, negotiation, influence, organizational, project management, analytical, decision-making, and influence management skills are required.
- Ability to effectively communicate and influence a broad variety of business leaders, both internally and externally and of varying levels from functional personnel to senior leaders of companies is required.
- Experience in a customer/external facing role is strongly preferred.
- Ability to prioritize tasks, manage several projects simultaneously, and also be able to eliminate unproductive, low priority, or low probability tasks and projects is required.
- Experience in leading complex transactions.
- This role may require up to 25% domestic and international travel.
United States-New Jersey-Somerville-
Medical Device Business Services, Inc (6029)