Johnson & Johnson Careers
Scientific Director, Immunology Discovery
San Diego, California
Requisition ID: 9139190311
Janssen Research & Development, LLC., a member of the Johnson and Johnson Family of Companies, is recruiting for a Scientific Director, Discovery Immunology to be located in La Jolla, CA.
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, what matters most is helping people live full and healthy lives. We focus on treating, curing and preventing some of the most devastating and complex diseases of our time. And we pursue the most promising science, wherever it might be found.
Janssen Research & Development, LLC discovers and develops innovative medical solutions to address important unmet medical needs in oncology, immunology, neuroscience, infectious diseases, vaccines, cardiovascular & metabolic diseases and pulmonary hypertension. Please visit http://www.janssenrnd.com/ for more information.
We are Janssen. Our mission drives us. Our patients inspire us. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it.
Thriving on a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees and committed to inclusion. Proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
The Director of Immunology Discovery, will be part of a team of scientists responsible for studies focused on autoimmune diseases including identification of disease drivers, new targets and creating and executing plans for the portfolio of assets within the Immunology Therapeutic Area (ITA).
• Develop the strategy for the identification of novel pathways and targets driving autoimmune diseases and the discovery and development of New Molecular Entities.
• Develop the strategies for early assessment of proof of mechanism/concept/relevance for New Molecular Entities undergoing development for new indications.
• Independently identify gaps and strategic weaknesses and then implement resolutions (research solutions, new technology or accessing alternate resources) to enable decision points or meet objectives
• Proactively influence across functional areas and external partners to align project activities with strategic goals
• Represent the company in external venues (conferences, interactions with KOLs); interact with multiple academic and industry partners.
• Stay current on emerging tools, science and trends and apply these to internal activities
• Build teams in a matrixed environment that spans multiple Janssen sites to achieve project goals.
• Demonstrate Strong fit-for-purpose communication, comfortable operating in the grey zone, with the ability to manage multiple programs and functional groups.
• Demonstrate strong performance management; coaching and mentoring skills and ability to navigate and resolve conflict
This is not an exhaustive, comprehensive listing of job functions. May perform other duties as assigned.
• Responsible for a team of scientists and the successful execution of formal management, setting objectives, review of performance, identification of training needs, coaching and mentoring of direct reports.
Education and Experience:
• Advanced degree in immunology or related discipline (Ph.D.) and 8+ yrs of experience.
• Immunology basic science research experience with a record of peer reviewed publications and scientific presentations is required
• Six to eight years of industry experience or relevant academic experience is required.
Required Technical Knowledge and Skills:
• Fluent in written and spoken English
• Strong foundation in Immunology and drug discovery
• Strong ability to work effectively in a large virtual organization, with multifunctional teams located globally
• Ability to function as a team member and demonstrate strong interpersonal skills.
• The ability to advise, persuade and negotiate with colleagues in a supportive and encouraging fashion.
• Proven ability to work in or to lead cross-functional teams and to effectively build credible relationships within and outside of the organization.
• Good organizational skills with the ability to prioritize assignments and to work under pressure to meet deadlines.
• An ability to handle complex projects and to overcome delays and obstacles.
• Willingness and ability to travel ~ 20%
United States-California-San Diego-
Janssen Research & Development, LLC. (6084)