Johnson & Johnson Careers
Manufacturing Engineering Manager
Requisition ID: 9045190311
Megadyne Medical Products, a member of the Ethicon Surgical Care & Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies, is hiring a Manufacturing Engineering Manager in Draper, UT.
The Ethicon Surgical Care business is comprised of the following businesses within Johnson & Johnson: Ethicon Surgical Care, Ethicon Biosurgery, Ethicon Energy, Ethicon Endomechanics, Ethicon Robotics, Megadyne, NeuWave, and Torax. With annual sales of $11 billion, the Global Surgery Group is the world’s largest, most innovative surgical company. The strength of the Global Surgery Group is illustrated by the fact that more than 80% of our sales come from businesses with #1 or #2 global market share positions. We serve customers around the world, with about 60% of our sales generated outside the U.S., including a fast-growing presence in emerging markets. The Global Surgery Group is committed to innovation, with about 30% of our sales coming from products introduced in the past five years.
The Ethicon Surgical Care business offers a broad range of products, platforms and technologies—including sutures, surgical staplers, clip appliers, trocars and synthetic mesh devices—that are used in a wide variety of minimally invasive and open surgical procedures. Specialties include support for treatment of colorectal and thoracic conditions, women’s health conditions, hernias, cancer and obesity. The Ethicon Surgical Care business combines products and services of two market-leading legacy companies, both with long histories of medical innovation. Ethicon, Inc. based in Somerville, New Jersey, was founded more than 80 years ago as a pioneer in suture development and manufacturing, helping to transform the safety and effectiveness of open surgery. Ethicon Endo-Surgery, Inc. was created 20 years ago in Cincinnati, Ohio, developing innovative devices that have driven the revolutionary shift from open to minimally invasive surgery that continues to lead the industry today.
The Manufacturing Engineering Manager provides technical expertise in advanced engineering, design, and construction of manufacturing facilities, systems, and equipment; and providing engineering and technical support for complex production and processing equipment.
Under limited supervision and in accordance with all applicable federal, state and local laws/regulations and Corporate Johnson & Johnson, procedures and guidelines, this position:
- Provides day-to-day tactical operations direction and guidance for project engineering associates supporting manufacturing to ensure short and long-term manufacturing goals are met.
- Interacts with Materials management to ensure Schedule Adherence and Customer services objectives are met.
- Assists the plant leader in developing and monitoring the annual business plan and business performance.
- Plans, schedules, conducts, and manages various engineering projects, ensuring all project adhere to acceptable engineering practices and compliance regulations, are appropriately staffed, and are run within budget.
- Provides training, guidance, coaching, performance appraisals, mentoring and career development for engineers.
- Acts as primary contact for all project/process engineering and/or maintenance related customer services issues.
- Facilitates and supports new product lunches to assure successful implementation.
- Develops and implements continuous process improvement, cost containment and efficiency.
- Identify, evaluate, and select suitable manufacturing technologies to support or advance business.
- Form alliances with Marketing and R&D to provide processes for improvement products in response to customer’s needs.
- Ensures department safety programs are implemented and maintained to meet goals.
- Manages own projects as well as monitor projects assigned to others within group.
- Interfaces directly with production manager and supervisors to ensure manufacturing operations and projects receive effective technical support.
- Reviews capital expense forecasts and address variance issues.
- Receives tactical and strategic guidance from manager. Keeps manager well-informed of all major problems, improvement activities and potential barriers.
- Has signature authority for protocols, completion/fact books report and revises feasibility studies and development protocols.
- May represent ETHICON company during internal, J&J Corporate and FDA audits of the validation process.
- Proactive and exercise good planning to accomplish department and Company goals.
- Enforces, promotes and observes all safety, industrial hygiene rules and regulations established by the Company. Responsible for filing accidents and near miss reports in a timely manner.
- Lead or support the development of common measurement and operations standards.
- Perform statistical analysis of process and business data for decision-making.
- Write technical experimental protocols and completion reports.
- Monitors and investigates process excellence techniques to identify systematic issues.
- Participates in the development of equipment and/or process improvements that will improve efficiency, product yield, and equipment reliability.
- Guides in troubleshooting and resolving equipment, systems, and process problems to prevent the occurrence of product and process nonconformities.
- Reviews evaluations and gives advice on the selection of suitable equipment for optimized, balanced line performance. Makes final recommendations to management.
- Oversees that process and material quality objectives are met during product launch and are congruent with production requirements.
- Develop and implements process and material quality targets. Interprets and provides alterations to performance measurements to targets and provides remedial action directives as necessary.
- Determines capital equipment appropriations required for new process implementation and controls expenditures to ensure compliance with timing and budget requirements.
- May provide technical leadership across functional teams on many different process improvements.
- Responsible for communicating business related issues or opportunities to next management level
- Responsible for ensuring that subordinates follow all Company guidelines related to Health, Safety and Environmental practices and that all resources needed to do so are available and in good condition, if applicable
- Responsible for ensuring personal and Company compliance with all Federal, State, local and Company regulations, policies, and procedures
- Entails significant interaction with technical peers and manufacturing associates.
- Exhibits good judgement.
- Performs other duties assigned as needed
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree in Engineering, or related field.
- Advanced degree preferred
- 6 years experience of demonstrated leadership in an operations setting required.
- 7+ years experience of demonstrated leadership in an operations setting preferred.
- Experience working with manufacturing processes, equipment, and maintenance teams required.
- Basic statistical and analytical problem-solving skills required.
- Experience using statistical software & analysis to gather data on manufacturing processes to make informed decisions required.
- Ability to develop and implement results-oriented solutions required.
- Requires good networking and influencing skills.
- Being self-motivated and capable of completing job duties with limited supervision required.
- Experience using Six Sigma/Lean principals in a manufacturing, manufacturing processes, and production maintenance setting required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required.
- Strong negotiation skills, project management, engineering experience & team leadership experience required.
- Strong computer skills and use of software application(s):
- Proficiency with Word, Excel & PowerPoint (technical reports & presentations) required.
- Experience with Minitab strongly preferred.
- Six Sigma Certification (Black or Green Belt) strongly preferred.
- Experience with problem solving tools such as DMAIC, Fishbone Analysis, 5 Whys is strongly preferred.
- FPX (Flawless Project Execution) certification preferred.
- Knowledge of Manufacturing Equipment Excellence program preferred.
- FPX (Flawless Project Execution) training preferred.
MegaDyne Medical Products, Inc. (6250)