Johnson & Johnson Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Staff Software Engineer, Enabling Technologies, Digital Spine Surgery
Requisition ID: 9043170829
DePuy Synthes, a member of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies, is recruiting for Staff Software Engineer, Enabling Technologies with focus on Digital Spine Surgery, to be located in Raynham, MA.
DePuy Synthes Companies of Johnson & Johnson is the largest, most innovative and comprehensive orthopaedic and neurological business in the world. DePuy Synthes Companies offers an unparalleled breadth and depth of products, services and programs in the areas of joint reconstruction, trauma, spine, sports medicine, neurological, craniomaxillofacial, power tools and biomaterials. Building on the legacy and strengths of two great companies, we are creating one organization that will be agile and better equipped in today's evolving health care environment. With a focus on activating insights to develop innovative, comprehensive solutions, we are inspired to advance patient care in greater ways than either company could accomplish on its own.
The Principal Software Engineer, Enabling Technologies will report to the Director of Enabling Technologies. In this newly created position, the Principal Software Engineer will provide technical direction and leadership in product development of image guided medical devices consisting of complex, integrated hardware and software systems intended for the acquisition, processing and analysis of various data sources.
You will exercise independent judgment in evaluating and developing innovative computer based systems and tools; create methods and assessment criteria related to relevant new technologies. Activities will include software design, prototyping, design of experiments for optimization of software architecture, product development, design controls and IT integrated tools, instruments and OR capital equipment.
You will provide technical leadership to project teams from charter to launch for highly complex products; and will demonstrate the ability to execute multi-disciplinary technical projects; develop corresponding patent strategies and support regulatory, preclinical and clinical activities.
Working knowledge of areas like computational science, software engineering, human factors/human-machine interface, and graphics are useful as being part of the team with other members having expertise in related domains. You should ideally have strong knowledge base in imaging techniques, and will be a member of a larger team, complimented by others who have true expertise in Spine treatment.
Specific responsibilities of the Principal Software Engineer include:
- Apply intensive and diversified knowledge of software engineering/computer science principles and practices in broad areas of assignments and fields to meet and exceed surgeon and patient needs in Spine and other orthopedic domains with the initial emphasis on 3D imaging and analysis, 3D visualization and navigated robotic surgery.
- Design and implement real-time 3D image processing algorithms enabling, for example, auto-segmentation, registration and machine learning for orthopedic imaging needs
- Develop software interfaces to communicate with various types of external hardware including robotic components
- Design interactive graphical user interfaces for 3D visualization of anatomical structures and enable seamless integration across multiple 3D imaging data streams.
- Perform as the technical lead and subject matter expert in 3D image processing, computer vision algorithm and platform development, and robotic applications
- Design, implement and evaluate software architectures for complex, integrated medical systems comprised of multiple sensing modalities for image acquisition, analytics and visualization of physiologic signals as well as robotics for autonomous operations.
- Work closely with Marketing and Human Factors Groups, and strive to achieve user and OR friendly software products
- Work closely with Quality group by adhering to both internally and externally established software development standards and guidelines, and provide guidance for continuous improvements. Participate in multi-functional design reviews when required.
- Lead identification and subsequent interactions and development activities with External partners who bring essential harmonious technologies and capabilities, and assess their integration fitness and aptitude.
- Fosters a dynamic and globally oriented culture of responsible experimentation, willingness to fail, bold “out of the box” thinking, collaboration, align adherence to innovation timelines, and self-starting attitude.
- Demonstrates capabilities within J&J’s Medical Device sector and throughout J&J in bringing novel concepts to maturity. Leverages J&J resources and knowledgebase to identify internal and key external technologies and potential partners.
- Collaborates with other New Technology teams in the US and Overseas in the creation of novel concepts and the disruptive redirection of existing technologies.
- Understand technological advancements, differentiating features, environmental changes, reimbursement, key competitor’s offerings; and provide analysis on technological feasibility, I/P landscape, risk assessment, and sales and market considerations to meet business objectives.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Sciences, Biomedical, Electrical Engineering or related discipline along with a minimum of 8 years of experience is required.
- If you hold a related Master’s Degree and 6 years of experience and/or a related PhD and 4 years of industry/professional experience you may also be considered for this role.
- Previous experience with software development from concept to commercial launch in a highly regulated industry is required; medical device industry is preferred.
- Deep expertise in C/C++ and/or C# and object-oriented programming principles is required.
- Experience compiling multi-platform applications in Windows and Linux environments (e.g. using CMake) and experience working with version control tools are required.
- Demonstrable experience in 3D image processing and visualization libraries, e.g., VTK, ITK, OpenCV, required.
- Experience developing professional GUI interfaces using, e.g., Qt or .NET frameworks, required.
- Excellent negotiation skills, as well as verbal and written communication skills are required.
- Extensive breadth of experience and a strong working knowledge in at least 3 of the 8 Competencies is required:
- Systems Architecture
- Software Engineering
- Graphics & Human Interface
- 3D Imaging and Algorithms
- Sensory Technology
- Familiarity with GPU architecture and programming for optimizing performance preferable.
- Experience with multi-actuator, multi degrees of freedom, multi-sensor robotic systems is preferable.
- Knowledge of scientific development languages, e.g., Python, Matlab or Java, is desirable.
- Experience with image guided navigation systems and 3D localization is desirable
- Exposure to cloud technologies, web service protocols and standards is desirable
- Experience in Spine related field with knowledge and experience with spinal pathologies and treatment alternatives is a plus.
- Position requires approximately 10% travel including international and the position is based in Raynham, MA.
DePuySynthes Products Inc (6149)
R&D Engineering (R&D)