Johnson & Johnson Careers
Director, Diagnostic Technology and R&D
Raritan, New Jersey; Titusville, New Jersey
Requisition ID: 9034180807
Janssen Diagnostics is a division of Johnson & Johnson and is currently recruiting for a Director Diagnostic Technology and R&D, with primary location in Raritan, NJ with consideration of Titusville, NJ. This position will also require up to 35% domestic and international travel.
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, what matters most is helping people live full and healthy lives. We focus on treating, curing and preventing some of the most devastating and complex diseases of our time. And we pursue the most promising science, wherever it might be found.
We are Janssen. Our mission drives us. Our patients inspire us. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it.
The Director, will assume the technical leadership roles, lead assay development and feasibility for companion diagnostic development in collaboration with leaders within Janssen therapeutic areas (TA). You will also lead the effort in identifying and evaluating emerging, enabling and transformational diagnostic platform technologies. You will apply highest scientific and diagnostic technical expertise as well as leadership skills, work closely with J&J internal stake holders including Innovation Centers and across all TAs and all sectors to identify the best platform technologies for our strategic needs, and the best opportunities for value-generating collaborations and for diagnostic technology investment. You will establish effective and collaborative network across all areas of J&J R&D, build credibility and leadership position for diagnostic (Dx) technology landscape and assessment, and identify the best Dx opportunities/solutions for J&J’s needs. You will also cultivate a strong scientific reputation and a network of experts in the global innovation community, serve as a mentor for our JLab Dx companies, and help solidify J&J as “the Partner of Choice” in a highly competitive landscape of external collaborations and partnerships.
In this exciting role, you will:
- Assume leadership role in companion and complementary diagnostic assay development, validation and feasibility. Provide diagnostic development technical leadership and orchestrate cross functional alignment with biomarker leaders, clinical and regulatory representatives on the successful development and implementation of diagnostic assays
- Manage a small team of PhD and non-PhD scientists focused on feasibility and early development for companion diagnostics and on Dx technology assessment
- Assume leadership role in technology landscaping including scouting, identifying and evaluating emerging, enabling, transformational diagnostic technologies and/or biomarkers that have strategic fits with J&J’s focused areas across all therapeutic areas and divisions.
- Responsible for designing and executing technical due diligence on selected Dx technologies to support business development
- Assume leadership role in proposing opportunities for collaborations and/or investment, and in technical due diligence and/or landscape analysis in support of the proposed opportunities.
- Provide scientific and technical inputs and/or mentorship as needed to researchers and start-ups to help advance Janssen’s strategy of fostering diagnostics innovation
- A minimum of a PhD is required.
- A minimum 10 years of Invitro Diagnostics (IVD) technology and/or product development is also required.
- Direct experience in developing companion diagnostics is highly preferred.
- Demonstrated track record of success, leading diagnostics research and development is required.
- Direct experience in the entire life cycle of IVD product development from concept, feasibility, design and development to successful regulatory filings and commercialization is highly preferred.
- Working knowledge of molecular biomarkers, assay development and design control process is required.
- Extensive experience in developing molecular diagnostic technologies and/or assays such as qPCR (quantitative Polymerase Chain Reaction) and sequencing are required.
- Direct experience in leading companion / complementary diagnostic (Dx) development and/or in pharmaceutical drug/vaccine development is highly preferred.
- Extensive technical expertise in Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) and other molecular Dx technologies as well as protein-based Dx technologies are required.
- Technical expertise in (remote) sensing technologies, label-free Dx technologies, Dx imaging technologies, and digital technologies are highly desirable.
- Direct experiences in working across different disease areas (oncology, cardio vascular and metabolism (CVM), neuroscience, infectious diseases, and Immunology) on enabling Dx solutions and/or Dx platform technologies are highly preferred.
- Prior experience in leading technology landscape, technical due diligence and facilitating collaborations with external partners and navigating large, matrixed environments is highly preferred.
- Scientific knowledge and working experience in microbiome field is preferred.
- Ability for out-side of box thinking and risk-taking with clear vision of Dx innovation, and ability to develop and implement effective tools for risk management to mitigate potential regulatory and commercialization challenges are required.
- Ability to develop deep insights into the emerging trends and unmet needs and translate the insights into viable opportunities and/or solutions are also required.
- Strong verbal and written communication and presentation skills, ability to articulate, influence, and negotiate are required.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills to effectively prioritize and manage multiple projects and relationships at all stages of development are preferred.
- Effective leadership with demonstrated track record of collaborating and influencing across all levels is critical.
- Demonstrate and inspire the behaviors that are consistent with J&J’s Credo.
Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies are equal opportunity employers, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
United States-New Jersey-Raritan
North America-United States-New Jersey-Titusville
Janssen Diagnostics, LLC (6139)