Johnson & Johnson Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Scientist, Computational Biology
Clinical Research non-MD
Requisition ID: 8996180501
Janssen Research & Development, L.L.C., a division of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies is recruiting for a Scientist, Computational Biology, to be located in Cambridge, MA.
Janssen Research & Development, LLC discovers and develops innovative medical solutions to address important unmet medical needs in oncology, immunology, neuroscience, infectious diseases and vaccines, and cardiovascular and metabolic diseases. Please visit http://www.janssenrnd.com/ for more information.
Thriving on a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees and committed to inclusion. Proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
The Janssen Human Microbiome Institute (JHMI), a member of Johnson & Johnson, aspires to be the global leader in the emergent field of the microbiome, by accelerating the translation of microbiome research into breakthrough solutions that promote health. JHMI seeks a highly motivated Computational Biologist to conduct analyses of microbiome data leading to new target and diagnostic identification. You will develop and apply computational and statistical analyses across a wide range of data types.
You will play a key role in designing appropriate data analysis strategy, interpreting results and gaining actionable insight to drive decision-making in the JHMI’s therapeutic project portfolio. As a computational biologist, you will have experience in bringing interdisciplinary teams together and deriving value from internal and external experts in pursuit of JHMI’s translational goals aimed at prevention, interception, and cure of disease across the World Without Disease Accelerator.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Implement, standardize and debug bioinformatics tools for use by a broad community of microbiome scientists.
- Analyze internal and external -omic data sets to discover microbiome-host associations, validate or formulate scientific hypotheses, validate published and unpublished research results, identify novel targets for microbiome solutions or microbiome related biomarkers.
- Collaborate with an interdisciplinary JHMI team and across the Janssen therapeutic areas when appropriate.
- Maintain expert knowledge of computational tools and datasets in the microbiome field. Review, test and benchmark these tools towards implementation and improvement of J&J microbiome programs.
- Keep abreast of scientific literature, emerging approaches and innovations in computational analysis of microbiome populations.
- Bioinformatics support to the portfolio of JHMI external partnership projects as needed.
- PhD in Bioinformatics, Biostatistics, Computational Biology or similar field is required
- Solid understanding of statistics, data mining, and visualization of biological data types is required
- Experience working with large scale genomic data (e.g. gene expression, SNP, microarrays, etc) is required
- Capable of developing strong influential relationships with scientific peers and stakeholders is required
- Ability to work in interactive team environments while also conducting self-directed research within broader goals set by JHMI is required.
- Must be organizationally adaptable, innovative and thrive in high complexity environments to deliver high quality work product in the face of multiple demands
- Broad experience working across multiple projects in the field of microbiology and the microbiome is preferred
- Demonstrated ability to design and apply bioinformatics techniques to a complex biological question, leading to actionable hypothesis testing / validation is preferred
- Demonstrated proficiency in programming languages (e.g. C++, Java, Python, Perl) is preferred
- Demonstrated proficiency in analytical languages (e.g. R, Matlab) is preferred
- Expertise in methods pertinent for functional interpretation of -omics data, e.g. pathway enrichment, functional module detection, causal reasoning is preferred
- Experience with relational databases (e.g. SQL) is preferred
- Experience with microbiome software (e.g. QIIME, Biobakery) is preferred.
Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies are equal opportunity employers, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.v
Janssen Research & Development, LLC. (6084)
Clinical Research non-MD