The Ethicon is currently recruiting for a R&D Primary Electrical Design Engineer in our Surgical Robotics franchise, located in Cincinnati, OH.
Ethicon, part of the Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies, has made meaningful contributions to surgery for more than 60 years from creating the first sutures, to revolutionizing surgery with minimally invasive procedures. Our continuing dedication to Shape the Future of Surgery is built on our commitment to help address the world's most pressing health care issues and improve and save more lives. Through Ethicon's surgical technologies and solutions including sutures, staplers, energy devices, trocars and hemostats and our commitment to treat serious medical conditions like obesity and cancer worldwide, we deliver innovation to make a life-changing impact. This is an opportunity for a key role in bringing exciting new products to market to support the Johnson & Johnson robotics venture. For more information, visit www.ethicon.com.
The R&D Primary Electrical Design Engineer in Surgical Robotics is responsible for acting as an electrical / electro-mechanical experienced team member supporting and/or leading various assignments. In this position you will support or lead the definition, design, development, implementation, and integration of the electrical aspects of key robotic surgical instruments.
- For Robotic Surgery, this represents an excellent opportunity for a candidate who is excited by building transformational surgical capabilities. You will be leading technical design and development across advanced sensing, communications, and system controls through applications of electrical / electro-mechanical technologies. This position holds accountability for our critical enabling technology programs, and will work closely with our internal R&D teams and with external development partners as well.
- Ultimately you will be a technical leader responsible for projects ranging from conception through final execution, partnering with other core design and development teams including mechanical, biomedical, equipment/testing development, and clinical disciplines to integrate enabling technologies across a broad array of surgical solutions.
- You will design and implement project scope and plans, be a leader with outside co-developers, and lead and execute R&D projects.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or a related science/engineering degree is required.
- An Advanced Degree is preferred.
Experience and Skills:
- A minimum of 3 years design-related experience is required.
- Knowledge or experience in coding/scripting, such as Python or C++ is highly preferred.
- Knowledge in mixed-signal (analog-digital) design is highly preferred.
- Knowledge or experience in PCBA design and manufacturing is preferred. This includes hands on execution and test validation of the hardware design. Knowledge of industry PCBA standards is highly preferred.
- Experience in a regulated environment is highly preferred.
- Experience designing, developing, and launching medical products.
- Strong electrical design and analysis skills, including an understanding of electrical systems and subsystem interface to overall system design. This will include digital, analog, and communications technologies. Knowledge of electronic manufacturing is also key to this role.
- Track record in R&D delivering solutions with complex system components and architecture is required.
- Ability to explain (both written and verbal) complex technical issues to quality engineers, marketers, and technical writers is preferred.
- Excellent collaboration and teaming skills to work with manufacturing engineering and suppliers to understand the considerations associated with Design for Manufacturing (DFM), Design to Cost (DTC), and working with other team members and consultants to produce prototypes and optimize designs for manufacturability.
- Experience translating high-level customer needs into technical options and analyzing the tradeoffs and business impact.
- Experience with defining test acceptance criteria, developing test methods, and creating test protocols/reports is required.
- Building prototypes, products, and systems for testing; along with setting up and running laboratory simulations is preferred.
- Experience leading design control activities and design history file implementation per FDA & CE mark standards for medical devices is desired.
- Experience with capital equipment and disposable medical devices is desired.
- Experience working with software, firmware and hardware is preferred.
- Understanding of surgery, surgical procedures, and the design and application of surgical devices, as well as the quality system / regulatory environment is desired.
- Designing test procedures, coordinating tests, analyzing results, and developing written reports.
- Conducting and/or participating in technical design reviews of requirements, specifications, designs, etc.
- Strong understand of design control; the ability to develop and execute design plans, design verification and validation.
- This position is located in Cincinnati, OH and may require up to 25% travel domestic and international travel.
Do you strive to join an outstanding team that is dynamic and ever-changing? Is career growth and opportunity appealing to you? Apply to this opportunity today.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Ethicon Endo Surgery Inc (6041)
R&D Engineering (R&D)