Janssen Pharmaceutical, a member of Johnson & Johnson's
Family of Companies, is recruiting for a Principal Scientist in Discovery Immunology, located in Spring House, PA.
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, what matters most is helping people live full and healthy lives. We focus on treating, curing and preventing some of the most devastating and complex diseases of our time. And we pursue the most promising science, wherever it might be found.
We are Janssen. Our mission drives us. Our patients inspire us. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it.
The Principal Scientist role requires an individual with a strong scientific background in the field of immunology or a related biological science. The primary responsibilities for this individual will be to lead a team of biologists that define and prosecute projects that deliver high quality clinical candidates. The individual is expected to actively engage in early discovery efforts, with emphasis placed on development and execution of in vivo experimental approaches to address pharmacological and biological hypothesis and advance drug candidates. The Principal Scientist will provide scientific leadership to research associates within the broader team and interface with internal and external partners to enable the discovery of novel therapeutics.
Additional responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- People management including coaching, mentoring and developing junior scientists to enhance performance and scientific growth
- Taking ownership of areas of biology and working independently to design experiments, interpret data, troubleshoot, and suggest next steps to deliver on project goals and timelines
- Collaboratively working in a matrix environment, presenting ideas, both verbally and in writing to diverse audiences including scientific colleagues and senior leadership
- Working in a collaborative environment where ideas can be respectfully challenged to drive excellence and innovation
- Growing the immunology discovery group’s reputations by both publishing research in high-tier journals and presenting at external meetings
- PhD in Immunology, Pharmacology or related biological science with at least 5-7 years of pharmaceutical industry; Post-doctoral training is preferred
- Demonstrated success as an in vivo pharmacologist/scientist, with a proven track record of good experimental design, in-depth data analysis and interpretation on strong scientific rationale and understanding of pharmacological concepts (efficacy, PK/PD relationships). An ability to design in vivo studies and to train team members on in vivo techniques
- Experience with ancillary in vitro and ex vivo assays to characterize PD or target engagement effects of experimental medicines (multi-color flow cytometry, T cell/B cell cultures, cytokine/inflammatory mediator assessment (ELISA, MSD, WB etc) is required
- Previous supervisory experience of PhD level and non-PhD-level scientists is required
- Experience leading/ advancing drug discovery programs in immune-mediated diseases is required, with previous experience in autoimmune diseases strongly preferred
- Strong written and oral communication skills to diverse audiences including scientific colleagues and leadership, and an ability to provide fit-for-purpose communication in the context of a multidisciplinary team are required
- Work to grow immunology discovery group’s reputations by both publishing research in high-tier journals and presenting at external meetings
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
United States-Pennsylvania-Spring House-
Janssen Research & Development, LLC (6084)