Ethicon is recruiting for a Principal Engineer, Advanced Imaging, located in either Cincinnati, Ohio or Santa Clara, California.
Ethicon, part of the Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies, has made significant contributions to surgery for more than 60 years from creating the first sutures, to revolutionizing surgery with minimally invasive procedures. Our continuing dedication to Shape the Future of Surgery is built on our commitment to help address the world's most pressing health care issues and improve and save more lives. Through Ethicon's surgical technologies and solutions including sutures, staplers, energy devices, trocars and hemostats and our commitment to treat serious medical conditions like obesity and cancer worldwide, we deliver innovation to make a life-changing impact. For more information, visit www.ethicon.com.
The Principal Engineer is a key team member for our Advanced Imaging product pipeline, leading and conducting a wide range of assignments in collaboration with the team, in alignment with ongoing projects. This represents an excellent opportunity if you are excited by building transformational surgical imaging and visualization capabilities – Digital Surgery, and working in a multi-functional environment.
- Provide technical leadership to project teams from feasibility to launch. Manage organizational and technical work you're doing to meet the goals of assigned projects.
- Execute subsystem technical strategies and influence internal multi-functional teams to execute feasibility and product development efforts.
- Plan, develop, and validate algorithms, software and image signal processing solutions for visualization and advanced imaging products and concepts.
- Collaborate with external technology companies to integrate advanced imaging technologies into proprietary visualization platforms.
- Partner with external product development / manufacturing organizations in defining requirements, executing electronic and software subsystems, and launching new products.
- Establish and maintain strong, productive relationships and collaborations across internal, external, and partner organizations.
- Conducting and/or participating in technical design reviews of requirements, specifications, designs, etc.
Domestic and international travel of up to 30% may be required.
A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical, Computer Science, or Software Engineering, or equivalent experience, is required; an Advanced Degree (MS/PhD) is preferred.
Experience and Skills:
- A minimum of 10 years of imaging technologies (intraoperative surgical devices and their workflows), software and algorithms, development experience is required. Experience in medical devices, as well as visualization systems and image signal processing, are also required.
- Direct experience working across company and organizational boundaries, in many cases without direct authority, to build relationships, define mutual goals, and collaborate to meet objectives is required.
- Understanding of the value drivers of surgical robotics, and ability to translate broad strategy to specific priorities is required.
- Understanding of surgical visualization, image sensors, frame-based image processing, and electronic interfacing of image data streams is highly desired.
- Deep understanding of appropriate embedded system and software tools such as real time operating systems, etc. is highly preferred.
- Business maturity – ability to work in ambiguity, organize and define work outside of direct technical expertise, exercise independent judgement, define and manage risk, and translate clinical finding to inform project plans is required
- Experience with building prototypes, products, and systems for testing; along with setting up and running laboratory simulations is required.
- Strong understanding of design controls, industry standards and guidelines, and medical device software development; the ability to develop and execute design plans, design verification and validation is required.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
North America-United States-California-Santa Clara
Ethicon Endo Surgery Inc (6041)