Johnson & Johnson Careers
Staff Systems Engineer, Surgical Robotics
Requisition ID: 8467180112
Ethicon, a part of the Johnson and Johnson family of companies, is currently recruiting a Staff Systems Engineer for the development of surgical products & systems in their Cincinnati, Ohio location.
The Ethicon Surgical Care business offers a broad range of products, platforms and technologies—including sutures, surgical staplers, advanced energy, clip appliers, trocars and synthetic mesh devices—that are used in a wide variety of minimally invasive and open surgical procedures. Specialties include support for treatment of colorectal and thoracic conditions, women’s health conditions, hernias, cancer and obesity. The Ethicon Surgical Care business combines products and services of two market-leading legacy companies, both with long histories of medical innovation. Ethicon, Inc. based in Somerville, New Jersey, was founded more than 80 years ago as a pioneer in suture development and manufacturing, helping to transform the safety and effectiveness of open surgery. Ethicon Endo-Surgery, Inc. was created 20 years ago in Cincinnati, Ohio, developing innovative devices that have driven the revolutionary shift from open to minimally invasive surgery that continues to lead the industry today.
Our R&D team of engineers, designers and technical experts are in the forefront of technology in the medical device industry. You will be making a vital contribution to the New Product Development pipeline and transforming patient care through innovation. Our Design Engineer executes specific & general assignments/projects that provide innovative, functional, cost effective & validated product designs in a team based environment. This is an opportunity for a key role in bringing exciting new products to market to support the J&J / Google robotics venture. Ground-floor position to help grow and build a new J&J business unit, enabling significant professional growth.
JOB SUMMARY AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Work with internal and external development teams to deliver a novel surgical robot platform and advanced surgical tools.
This position will involve leading Systems Engineering activities across complex electro-mechanical surgical device programs. Integrate the work of multiple technical disciplines. Demonstrable communication skills, both written and oral as well as effective leadership are required.
- Work with the technical leadership within traditional systems engineering functions by providing active technical engagement within requirements capture, decomposition, trace management, verification, risk management or issue tracking, among others.
- Collaborate as part of a team to the system design by performing requirement allocation, decomposition, and analysis as needed to ensure clear and unambiguous design specifications.
- Advance product realization by performing trace analysis, risk management, verification effort or other functions necessary to establish the safety and effectiveness of the product.
- Enthusiastically resolve and lead other resources necessary to perform systems engineering activities while minimizing impact to program
- Be responsible for the resolution of multi-functional and platform issues, trade-offs, and risk in accordance with system objectives.
- Lead the integration of subsystems in accordance with program requirements.
BS/MS in an engineering discipline (Mechanical, Biomedical, Electrical preferred)
- Minimum 6 years direct experience in a large product development environment;
- Experience within a medical or highly regulated environment is helpful
- Validated effectiveness in leading and collaborating across organizational boundaries (e.g. project teams, functions, and partner organizations)
- Working knowledge of system-level tools and processes used for requirements management, risk management, issue tracking or test automation with professional expertise in at least one such tool.
- Deep understanding of Systems Engineering activities with substantial professional expertise in at least one System Engineering area (requirements management, verification or other related activity)
- Desired Qualifications
- Previous experience with surgical devices, procedures, and direct interact of customers
- This position is based on Cincinnati, Ohio, and may involve up to 20% travel.
Ethicon Endo Surgery Inc (6041)
R&D Engineering (R&D)