Janssen Research & Development, L.L.C., a division of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies is recruiting for a Senior Principal Scientist, Parallel Medicinal Chemistry located in Spring House, PA.
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, we are working to create a world without disease. Transforming lives by finding new and better ways to prevent, intercept, treat and cure disease inspires us. We bring together the best minds and pursue the most promising science.
We are Janssen. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it. Learn more at www.janssen.com and follow us @JanssenGlobal. Janssen Research & Development, LLC is part of the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies.
Janssen Research & Development, LLC, is seeking an experienced, highly skilled, and motivated medicinal chemist to work in our laboratories in Spring House, PA, for the position of Senior Principal Scientist, Parallel Medicinal Chemistry. This position will require the candidate to possess and leverage deep knowledge and capabilities in medicinal chemistry and automated synthesis to deliver differentiated clinical candidates to the Janssen product development pipeline within our Disease and Pathway Area Stronghold strategy. Using a mix of internal and external resources, the Principal Scientist will partner with key stakeholders within the therapeutic areas and other internal groups, represent medicinal chemistry and lead cross-functional project teams, and be co-responsible for building, managing, and delivering high quality clinical molecules into the pipeline. Responsibilities of the Senior Principal Scientist will include:
- Lead a team of scientists to manage collaborations with medicinal chemistry teams, computational chemists and therapeutic area biologists to apply automated chemistry capabilities, such as parallel medicinal chemistry, modern catalysis screen, High throughput Experimentation (HTE) and High Throughput Purification (HTP) to accelerate Discovery programs
- As project leader, drive and establish a path forward for medicinal chemistry functions for one or more drug discovery projects, working in concert with partners in molecular and cellular biology, pharmacology, computational chemistry, ADME, structural biology, chemical development, and other key functions
- Supervise and direct parallel medicinal chemistry and medicinal chemistry activities internally and/or at contract research organizations (CROs)
- In this role, it’s essential that the Senior Principal Scientist support or lead cross functional and cross network teams to deliver on Janssen pipeline objectives.
- Participate in portfolio and stage-gate reviews, lead the preparation and presentation of dossiers for clinical candidate nomination and compound advancement
- Analyze screening data, perform literature reviews, design, propose, and execute medicinal chemistry plans, coordinate chemistry and biology data to support compound progression and patent strategies
- Participate in shaping and implementing strategies that support medicinal chemistry growth objectives at Janssen
- Serve as a scientific leader and expert in parallel medicinal chemistry with both internal and external partners and provide recommendations regarding new targets, new synthetic strategies and emerging external chemistry capabilities.
- Ensure optimal interaction/communication and provide updates on project status to Discovery leadership
- Maintain significant personal laboratory presence
- A PhD is required, in synthetic or medicinal chemistry
- A minimum of 10 or more years of related experience is required
- Postdoctoral experience is preferred
- A minimum of 10 or more years’ experience in the biopharmaceutical industry with a proven track record of innovative projects and key contributions to clinical candidate selection is required
- In-depth knowledge and extensive experience in parallel medicinal chemistry and its application in discovery programs with a proven track record is required
- Broad experience and proven accomplishments in medicinal chemistry with operational skills for managing discovery programs at the level of a senior chemist/team leader and a proven track record of delivering clinical candidates is required
- Expert knowledge of modern methods of synthetic and medicinal chemistry with ability to successfully and simultaneously conduct medicinal chemistry on multiple projects is required
- Solid understanding of cellular/molecular biology, biochemistry, disease pharmacology, mechanisms of drug metabolism and molecular toxicology, pharmaco-kinetic and pharmaco-dynamic sciences, and formulations for the in vivo evaluation of drug candidates is required
- Experience with computational chemistry methods and biophysical techniques such as X-ray crystallography and macromolecular NMR is preferred
- Ability to integrate multiple R&D disciplines into a successful strategic project plan is required
- Strong problem-solving skills for developing creative, innovative solutions, and meeting project objectives are required
- Demonstrated influence, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills, including the ability to succeed within a matrix environment are required
- Experience in managing projects, aligning actions with overall strategy, and supporting business cases for decision-making is preferred
- Strong track record of scientific contributions including peer reviewed first-author publications, patent applications, and presentations at major national meetings is required
- Maintaining a lab presence and spending up to 30% of time in the lab is required
- Up to 10% travel both domestically and internationally is required
United States-Pennsylvania-Spring House-1400�McKean�Road
Janssen Research & Development, LLC (6084)