Johnson & Johnson Careers
Senior Scientist, R&D Raw Materials
Requisition ID: 8410180409
& Johnson Vision Care, is hiring for a Senior Scientist, R&D Raw
Materials to be located in Jacksonville, FL.
Johnson & Johnson Vision Care, Inc. specializes in the manufacturing of industry-leading contact lenses, which it markets under the ACUVUE® brand name. Ever since the ACUVUE® brand transformed vision correction in 1988 with the world's first soft disposable contact lenses, we've passionately pursued new technologies and the highest quality standards. We're proud that ACUVUE® lenses are worn by more people than any other brand.
This position will be considered a subject matter expert in polymer chemistry, formulations, and material characterization within the Analytical Chemistry Department and Operating Company. The focus of the position is to assist project teams in the development and optimization of reactive formulations used to produce conventional and silicone hydrogels and next generation materials. A broad knowledge of photochemical principles, design of experiments, polymer structure/property relationships, polymer/small molecule degradation, and polymers for biomedical applications is important. Must be familiar with general polymer/monomer characterization techniques such as viscometry, FTIR, thermal analysis (differential scanning calorimetry (DSC), thermogravimetric analysis (TGA), and dynamic mechanical analysis (DMA)), nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR), and rheology. This is a hands-on laboratory position where the scientist is expected to plan and execute experiments, analyze data, and provide results back to the project teams sponsoring the work. Laboratory work will include the blending of multi-component formulations, design and execution of stability and compatibility studies, monomer and polymer characterization, and photocuring studies. Good presentation skills are required so that executives, engineers, clinicians, and scientists from different disciplines can understand the experimental results. There are also frequent opportunities to collaborate with universities, industrial research institutes, contract labs, and chemical suppliers to help better understand the polymer systems under development. Other job functions may include:
- Design experiments using appropriate statistical methodology.
- Act as a project accountable.
- Present data and conclusions with appropriate statistical analysis.
- Initiate and write technical reports with minimal supervision.
- Manage work with regards to environmental policy and procedures and support department environmental objectives.
- Develops and blends formulations to support product development initiatives
- Designs and executes stability studies, compatibility evaluations, and mixing optimization experiments
- Participates on project teams
- Works with external vendors to support commercialization needs
- Assist in trouble-shooting and executing root-cause analyses to address development and production issues
- Performs other related duties as assigned by management
- A Master’s of Science degree in Organic Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Polymer Chemistry, or Materials Science with a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience is required. A PhD in one of these related areas with relevant laboratory experience in research and development is preferred is preferred.
- Experience in photochemistry is preferred
- Understanding and application of principles, concepts, and practices of materials research and characterization procedures are required
- The ability to properly measure and blend multi-component formulations is required
- Knowledge in at least one of the following material analytical techniques, such as rheology, microscopy, and spectroscopy is preferred
- Expertise in at least one of the following: thermal analysis, (TGA, DSC, DMA), FTIR, NIR, and viscometry is required.
- A broad knowledge of photochemical principles and polymer structure/property relationships is required
- Knowledge and experience with design of experiments is preferred
- Knowledge of Minitab or other statistical software preferred
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills are required
- Standard use of Microsoft Office products and software for analyses is required
- This position will be located in Jacksonville, FL and may require up to 10% domestic travel
Johnson & Johnson Vision Care, Inc. (6094)