Johnson & Johnson Careers
Principal Robotics Development Engineer
Requisition ID: 8409190227
DePuy Synthes, a member of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies is recruiting for a Principal Robotics Development Engineer located in Warsaw, IN or Boston, MA.
DePuy Synthes, part of the Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies, provides one of the most comprehensive orthopedics portfolios in the world. DePuy Synthes solutions, in specialties including joint reconstruction, trauma, craniomaxillofacial, spinal surgery and sports medicine, are designed to advance patient care while delivering clinical and economic value to health care systems worldwide. For more information, visit www.depuysynthes.com.
In this role you will:
- Design and develop new robotic instrumentation and procedural solutions pertaining to robotic enabled surgery.
- Design and develop aspects of complex systems (electromechanical systems) and projects, participating in multi-functional project teams through all phases of the product development process
- Organize, plan, and execute projects through launch, commercialization, and post market surveillance.
- Work with surgeons, marketing and sales to define and refine design inputs, generate design concepts and prototypes independently, perform important and timely design evaluations (such as tolerance analysis, FEA, simulated use testing, dry labs and wet tissue labs etc.), and generate documentation of clinical and surgical technique observations to create meaningful design solutions.
- Lead the development and execution of design verification and validation plans and activities, and test plan formation and execution to support global regulatory strategy.
- Conduct initial patent reviews and initiate freedom to operate activities from concept to launch.
- Mentor entry level engineers and will collaborate with manufacturing engineering and/or suppliers to optimize designs for manufacturability and assembly to produce functioning prototypes and supporting production documentation.
- Demonstrate strong proficiency in the application of design controls and development processes and will be responsible for all the designs from concept development through product launch.
- Be expected to develop detailed knowledge of our product lines and various orthopaedic pathologies and may be an active participant in sales training and in providing ongoing product support to the field.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering with mechanics focus, or relevant Engineering degree is required. An advanced engineering degree is a plus.
- A minimum of nine years of professional experience in new product development or equivalent engineering function or a Master’s degree with seven years of relevant new product development or engineering experience is required.
- Experience with medical devices, specifically Surgical Robotics or Orthopedics is highly preferred.
- Experience in identifying user needs (VOC), material selection, ability to verify and validate design concepts, and understand design failure modes is required.
- Experience utilizing computer aided design (CAD) to develop a product is a requirement.
- Experience with Unigraphics NX is plus.
- Experience with different types of manufacturing, mechanisms, materials, proper tolerancing, drafting standards, and GD&T are required.
- Experience with handling projects within FDA Medical Device guidelines is preferred.
- Experience working with complex capital system product development is highly preferred.
- A successful track record of leading and influencing others without authority, participating on multi-functional teams and solid negotiating skills to bring products through end-to-end product development is required.
- The ability to look beyond conventional solutions and familiarity with technologies extending beyond traditional orthopaedic therapies and products is desired.
- Ability to effectively communicate concepts, ideas and knowledge to other individuals, surgeons, customers and/ or teams is required.
- Experience reviewing and critically assess patents and other forms of intellectual property is highly preferred.
- Strong organizational skills to support all aspects of the project management functions including scope definition, budgeting, and contingency planning will be expected.
- This position is in Warsaw, IN, or Boston, MA, and may require up to 20% travel.
Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies are equal opportunity employers, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
North America-United States-Massachusetts-Boston
DePuySynthes Products Inc (6149)
R&D Engineering (R&D)