Johnson & Johnson Careers
Principal Development Engineer, Front-End R&D, Surgical Robotics
Requisition ID: 8407190227
Ethicon is recruiting for a Principal Development Engineer, Front-End R&D, Surgical Robotics, located in Cincinnati, Ohio
Ethicon, part of the Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies, has made meaningful contributions to surgery for more than 60 years from creating the first sutures, to revolutionizing surgery with minimally invasive procedures. Our continuing dedication to Shape the Future of Surgery is built on our commitment to help address the world's most pressing health care issues and improve and save more lives. Through Ethicon's surgical technologies and solutions including sutures, staplers, energy devices, trocars and hemostats and our commitment to treat serious medical conditions like obesity and cancer worldwide, we deliver innovation to make a life-changing impact. For more information, visit www.ethicon.com.
The Principal Development Engineer is a key team member for our Surgical Robotics product pipeline, leading and conducting a wide range of assignments in collaboration with the team. This represents an excellent opportunity if you are excited by building transformational surgical capabilities and working in a multi-functional environment.
- Lead and assist in setting objectives & planning schedules for specific development tasks within a project.
- Execute assignments encompassing entire project or a large portion of a major project. This may include resolving advanced materials, process, inspection/testing or procedural approaches to advance a medical device through the pipeline process into full R&D, and potentially into commercialization.
- Lead and coordinate activities with internal & external customers.
- Lead and support a high level of communications across a team as well as with Surgical Robotics leadership.
- You will apply comprehensive & diverse knowledge of engineering principles to a broad range of assignments.
- Plan, conduct & direct engineering assignments to completion.
- Serves as SME by providing high level guidance to strategies involving long-term vision of manufacturing technologies. Provides business with technical guidance.
- Operates as the leader or owner of a complex set of activities; has both managerial and technical responsibilities as required. Ensures delivery of new products by providing future capacity and processes in support of the company’s strategic plan.
- Responsible for the strategy and overall execution of the projects supply chain qualification preparation.
- Champions development methodologies across the franchise to ensure customer value.
- Establish and maintain strong, productive relationships and collaborations across internal, external, and partner organizations.
A BS or MS in an engineering discipline is required (Mechanical preferred)
Experience and Skills:
- A minimum of 10 years of related work experience is required.
- Experience in medical device industry; regulated industry is helpful.
- Experience defining and leading work with outside vendors and suppliers is required.
- Experience with Metals and Plastics component process development, Assembly Process Development, Design for Manufacturing/ Design for Assembly is required.
- Experience in Metal Injection Molding, Elastomeric and Electronic Components, Ultrasonic Device Development, Lean Manufacturing Principals/Certification, Tooling experience is preferred.
- Knowledge of Design for Six Sigma and Process Six Sigma is preferred.
- Experience with Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T), advanced manufacturing controls, analytics, is preferred.
- A Green/Black Belt Certification is preferred.
- The ability to create designs for production and fabrication is required.
- The ability to develop or support advanced assembly and processing equipment is preferred.
- The ability to conduct data analytics and statistical evaluation is required.
Domestic and international travel of up to 30%
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Ethicon Endo Surgery Inc (6041)
R&D Engineering (R&D)