Johnson & Johnson Careers
STAFF DESIGN ENGINEER FRONT END, SURGICAL ROBOTICS
Requisition ID: 8402190227
Ethicon is recruiting for a Staff Design Engineer, Front-End R&D, Surgical Robotics, located in Cincinnati, Ohio
Ethicon, part of the Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies, has made meaningful contributions to surgery for more than 60 years from creating the first sutures, to revolutionizing surgery with minimally invasive procedures. Our continuing dedication to Shape the Future of Surgery is built on our commitment to help address the world's most pressing health care issues and improve and save more lives. Through Ethicon's surgical technologies and solutions including sutures, staplers, energy devices, trocars and hemostats and our commitment to treat serious medical conditions like obesity and cancer worldwide, we deliver innovation to make a life-changing impact. For more information, visit www.ethicon.com
The Staff Design Engineer, Front-End R&D, will support the identification and feasibility of future technologies and applications concept to transfer into our Surgical Robotics product development pipeline.
- Lead early-stage projects to demonstrate business and technical feasibility and define further investment.
- Work with commercial teams to determine the need, clinical relevance, and strategic drivers of potential product offerings.
- Collaborate with internal cross-functional teams and external partners to define and execute feasibility programs to answer key technical, clinical, and commercial questions.
- Define next steps and future product development activities to transfer new programs into our new product development process.
- Effectively communicate opportunities, status, risks, and recommendations across organization.
- Establish and maintain strong, productive relationships and collaborations across internal, external, and partner organizations.
- A BS or MS in an engineering discipline is required (Mechanical preferred)
Experience and Skills:
- A minimum of 7 years engineering and product development experience in a regulated, interdisciplinary product development environment
- Demonstrated experience in medical device product development lifecycle, from definition through commercialization. Understanding of project management and NPD planning for complex medical devices
- Excellent communication, collaboration, and teaming skills with internal teams, external partners, and direct customer interaction
- Business maturity – ability to work in ambiguity, organize and lead work outside of direct technical expertise, exercise independent judgement, define and manage risk, and translate clinical insights to inform project plans.
- Understanding of the value drivers of surgical robotics, and ability to translate broad strategy to specific priorities. Experience translating high-level customer needs into technical options and analyzing the trade-offs and business impact.
- Strong mechanical design and analysis skills, including architecting entire devices with appropriate interface requirements for sub-systems.
- Systems-based design experience, including integration of cross-disciplinary technologies.
- Direct experience with surgical devices, as well as surgical procedures and unmet needs
- The ability to develop and utilize 3D CAD models, FMEA’s, GD&T, tolerance analysis, FEA, DOE’s, simulated use testing, and statistical analysis.
- Ability to work with manufacturing engineering and suppliers to understand the considerations associated with Design for Manufacturing (DFM), Design for Assembly (DFA), Design to Cost (DTC), and working with other team members and consultants to produce prototypes and optimize designs for manufacturability.
- Building prototypes, products, and systems for testing; along with setting up and running laboratory simulations.
Domestic and international travel of up to 30%
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Ethicon Endo Surgery Inc (6041)
R&D Engineering (R&D)